Former UFC light heavyweight Thiago Silva has withdrawn from a scheduled bout at Fight Night 20 on Aug. 29 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, due to a knee injury.
Silva, 31, was supposed to fight Mike Hayes at the regional event. It would have been his first appearance since he was arrested on multiple felony charges in February.
According to Silva's manager, Glenn Robinson, the Brazilian learned he would need surgery on his knee last week, three days after a judge cleared him to fight on Aug. 29. Robinson did not provide a timeframe on Silva's return.
A professional fighter since 2005, Silva is awaiting trial on separate charges of aggravated assault, sending threatening texts and resisting arrest without violence stemming from an incident on Feb. 6. He was released on $25,000 bond in March.
"We had to get the state to take the anklet bracelet off," Robinson said. "They agreed he could fight because it was local, and near Miami. Three days later, we found out he needed surgery."
Silva (16-3) has not fought since October 2013. The UFC terminated his contract in February, after his arrest. In June, Silva signed with Fight Time Promotions, which is owned by his former boxing coach, Howard Davis Jr.
On Feb. 6, Silva was arrested following a non-violent standoff with a SWAT team at his home. Earlier that evening, Silva allegedly confronted his estranged wife from a vehicle parked outside a mixed martial arts academy and produced a firearm.
According to police reports, Silva allegedly left the area after the gym's owner called 911. He fled to his home in Fort Lauderdale, where he was eventually taken into custody.
Robinson told ESPN.com that Silva's legal representatives are hopeful the case will be heard within 30 to 60 days.