<
>

Dana White: Johnson in bad position

LAS VEGAS -- UFC president Dana White says light heavyweight Anthony Johnson may never fight for the promotion again, even if he is cleared of all wrongdoing in recent domestic abuse allegations against him.

Johnson, 30, was placed on an indefinite suspension by the UFC last week after mixed martial arts site BloodyElbow.com reported the mother of his children had filed a police report alleging a domestic violence incident took place involving the fighter in 2012. According to White, the UFC is currently investigating the matter independently.

White and UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta confirmed to ESPN.com they are also aware of a prior misdemeanor charge Johnson faced in 2009 in California, when his then-girlfriend accused him of kicking down her door and destroying her cell phone before she could call 911. According to the BloodyElbow.com report, Johnson pleaded "nolo contendere" in 2010 for that incident and received three years' probation.

On Thursday, White said Johnson's suspension will last at least until the current accusations are settled. He said UFC lawyers have found evidence that suggests the 2012 incident did not occur, but Johnson's future is still very much unsettled.

"When she's saying this happened, he wasn't even in the country," White said of the recent allegations. "He was out of the country. They have proof.

"He's not in a good position right now. He was at the biggest point of his career, where he was just on the cusp of making huge money, being involved in huge fights. I wouldn't want to be him right now. He's not in a good position. (An indefinite suspension) doesn't mean he's definitely going to fight here. Even if (the latest allegations) go his way. We'll see what happens."

The UFC has publicly stated it has a "zero-tolerance" policy on domestic abuse.

Fertitta also told ESPN.com the promotion is in the process of gathering more facts before making a final decision on Johnson.

"He went through the legal process (for the 2009 incident), and that's how it unfolded," Fertitta said. "Obviously, there have been much more significant focus on these issues in light of what's happening in the sports world.

"We do have a zero-tolerance policy, but I think we looked at that situation and the guy had gone through the court system and he was placed on suspension. He has served whatever he had served and we were comfortable bringing him in at that time. Obviously, now in addition to these recent allegations being made, the fact there is a prior makes us a lot more concerned about it."

White said he feels the recent focus on domestic violence due to the NFL's case with Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice is a positive thing -- relating it to what the O.J. Simpson trial did for domestic abuse awareness in the 1990s. White stated the UFC is committed to reaching an appropriate moral outcome in Johnson's case, while juggling the need to run a business.

"You've got to give people a fair f------ shake," White said. "What we have to do as a company and human beings is we have to do what's morally right and then we have to do what's right for the business, too."

Johnson (18-4) was cut by the UFC in 2012 after repeatedly failing to make weight as a welterweight and middleweight. He later moved to the light heavyweight division and was re-signed by the UFC in February. According to White, Johnson had agreed to an unannounced fight against Alexander Gustafsson on Dec. 13, before the latest allegations were made. He trains out of the Blackzilians camp in Boca Raton, Florida.