LAS VEGAS -- UFC middleweight title challenger Vitor Belfort has passed a blood and urine drug test he submitted to at the request of the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Nov. 1.
Belfort (24-10) is scheduled to fight Chris Weidman for the UFC middleweight belt Feb. 28 in Los Angeles. Belfort applied for a fighter's license in California last week.
As part of a conditional license Belfort, 37, received from the NSAC in July, the Brazilian agreed to submit to any tests ordered by the NSAC for the remainder of his career, as well as handle any associated costs.
NSAC executive director Bob Bennett told ESPN.com on Thursday that Belfort tested negative for all banned substances and that his blood serum testosterone levels were within normal range. Bennett said the UFC agreed to pay for the cost of Belfort's test.
CSAC executive officer Andy Foster previously told ESPN.com that Belfort would need to pass a drug test as part of his application process. Foster said the CSAC would feel comfortable using the results of the NSAC test initially, but it withholds the right to test Belfort again prior to the title bout, which will headline UFC 184 inside Staples Center.
Belfort was originally scheduled to fight Weidman (12-0) in May in Las Vegas, but he withdrew in February after the NSAC banned testosterone-replacement therapy in combat sports. Belfort has since discontinued TRT treatment.
Earlier this week, Weidman expressed concern regarding the results of the Nov. 1 test, which weren't made available until Thursday. Belfort has tested positive for a banned substance once in his career, and results from a blood test taken in February revealed his blood testosterone levels to be above normal while he was still on TRT.
"That's the guy I want to fight," Weidman said. "We were supposed to fight for almost a year now. I want to fight him, and I would be disgusted if something happens."