Nick Diaz, Carlos Condit make weight
LAS VEGAS -- Nick Diaz is officially done with the interviews and press circus. Now he can do what he came here to do.
The former Strikeforce welterweight champion came in at 169 pounds Friday for his UFC 143 main event fight against Carlos Condit this weekend at the Mandalay Bay Events Center.
With reigning champion Georges St. Pierre out until at least November because of a knee injury, the fight is for the 170-pound interim title.
In his final interview before the fight with UFC commentator Joe Rogan, Diaz (26-7) addressed the booing Las Vegas crowd. "I'm here to represent Cesar Gracie Jiu-Jitsu," Diaz said. "I'm ready to take my a-- whooping. It's whatever." Condit (27-5), who also weighed in at 169 pounds, called Diaz the toughest opponent of his career. During interviews earlier in the week, he admitted it was a challenge training for Diaz -- more so than Georges St. Pierre or Josh Koscheck.
"I'm as prepared as I've ever been," Condit said. "I can not wait to get out there and do this." All 22 athletes set to compete at UFC 143 made weight. In the co-main event, heavyweight Roy Nelson (16-6) welcomes Fabricio Werdum (14-5-1) back to the UFC after a stint in Strikeforce.
Both heavyweights came in at 246 pounds. Nelson is coming off a third-round finish over Mirko Filipovic. During his time at Strikeforce, Werdum netted the biggest win of his career against MMA legend Fedor Emelianenko.
Brett Okamoto covers mixed martial arts for ESPN.com. Josh Gross of ESPN.com contributed to this story.
MORE MMA HEADLINES
- Werdum dominates Browne, eyes title shot
- Curran-Freire title fight to headline Bellator 121
- NSAC elects Bennett as executive director
- White wants to see Nogueira call it a career