Alistair Overeem denied license
LAS VEGAS -- The Nevada State Athletic Commission voted unanimously Tuesday to deny UFC heavyweight Alistair Overeem's request for a fighting license, but will allow him to re-apply in nine months instead of the traditional 12.
The nine-month waiting period pre-dates to March 27, the day Overeem tested positive for an elevated testosterone-to-epitestosterone ratio during a random drug test in Las Vegas. The test showed a ratio of 14:1; the NSAC limit is 6:1.
While Overeem has not received a suspension of any kind, the NSAC made its expectation clear the fighter will not apply for a license in another state during those nine months.
UFC president Dana White has said the promotion would respect the commission's ruling.
Overeem had been scheduled to compete for the heavyweight title against Junior dos Santos at UFC 146 on May 26 in Las Vegas. The UFC announced April 20 that Overeem had been pulled off the card because of licensing issues.
The Dutch heavyweight, who declined comment to media members after the hearing, told the commission he had removed himself from the card in order to deal with the circumstances properly.
"I gave up the title fight because I think my position (was no longer) credible," Overeem told the commission. "Believe me when I tell you the title fight is my dream. This was going to be the crown of my career.
"I'm giving it up to take a couple steps back and prove that I'm a clean fighter."
Overeem stated under oath the positive test was because of a prescription from Dr. Hector Oscar Molina for an anti-inflammatory mixture used to treat a rib injury.
The two first met in June 2011 at a Strikeforce event in Dallas, during which Overeem fought in the main event. Molina has served as a ringside physician for the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation since 2005.
In January 2012, Overeem consulted the Dallas-based physician and received an injection of what Molina referred to as "tetramix." The fighter swore at that time he was unaware the substance contained aqueous testosterone.
Molina, who attended the hearing, testified to the NSAC he failed to relay the information to Overeem. In 2004, the Texas State Board of Medical Examiners disciplined Molina for irresponsibly prescribing drugs over the Internet.
In addition to the injection on January 12, Overeem stated Molina provided him with a vial containing two more doses of the substance. He then testified he injected himself with one of those doses on March 23 in Las Vegas, four days before the test.
He presented the vial and the remaining substance to the NSAC.
"I think the most important thing is to establish that it wasn't used with the intent of performance enhancing," said Overeem's attorney, David Chesnoff.
The commission vigorously questioned Overeem regarding his conduct prior to the random drug test on March 27, which was conducted immediately after a UFC press conference at the MGM Grand Hotel.
Executive director Keith Kizer stated that all six fighters present were informed beforehand a random test would take place at the conclusion of the press conference. Following the conference, Kizer said Overeem "sped out" and jumped into a car.
Overeem told the commission he had not been informed a test would take place and that he left the press conference quickly after his manager informed him that Overeem's previous management team, Golden Glory, planned to publicly serve him legal documents.
"I have had legal issues with my former management for the past six months," Overeem said. "They have done everything they can to harass me."
Commission chairman Raymond "Skip" Avansino stated he has, "no reason to think (Overeem) juices himself with steroids," but ultimately held him responsible for the elevated testosterone levels.
MORE MMA HEADLINES
- Justino slated to fight Tweet in first defense
- Johnson spoils Gustafsson's homecoming
- Faber, Assuncao to headline UFC Fight Night
- UFC's Jones: 'No room to be cocaine addict'