B.J. Penn to return -- eventually
Former UFC welterweight/lightweight champion B.J. Penn still has plans of returning to action. He just doesn't see it happening in the foreseeable future.
Penn addressed the issue of his return on Thursday in response to a statement earlier in the day from welterweight contender Josh Koscheck.
According to Koscheck, he verbally had agreed to face Penn. Koscheck didn't specify when or where the bout would take place.
"#UFC just offered me to fight B.J. Penn. I said yes! Just waiting on him," Koscheck said on Twitter. "Let's scrap bra?"
However, being called out proved not enough to persuade Penn to end his hiatus -- at least not yet.
"@joshkoscheck I know it costs a lot of money to live that lavish lifestyle, big house, fast cars and you need big fights," Penn said on Twitter. "But sorry, I'm not coming back anytime soon."
After a lopsided unanimous decision loss to Nick Diaz on Oct. 29, Penn hinted at the possibility of never fighting again.
"This is probably the last time you'll see me in here," a bruised and battered Penn said immediately after the loss. "I want to perform at the top level.
"I've got a daughter, another daughter on the way. I don't want to go home looking like this."
But UFC president Dana White said on May 3 that Penn expressed to him a desire to get back in the Octagon. Penn, however, has not yet said when he wants to return.
"B.J. hit me about a month ago," White said. "I saw him in Sweden (during an April 14 event) and he wants to come back."
For now, it remains a matter of when.
The 33-year-old Penn is just 1-3-1 in his five most recent fights. He has a professional record of 16-8-2.
Koscheck, 34, is eager to rebound from a May 5 split-decision loss to Johny Hendricks.