Georges St. Pierre ready to return
UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre remains on track for a November return from a torn ACL injury that has kept him out of action since April 2011.
Barring a setback in his recovery, the Canadian will defend his title against interim champion Carlos Condit in the main event of UFC 154 on Nov. 17 in Montreal.
Follow us on Twitter
Don't miss a moment of the latest MMA coverage from around the world. Follow us on Twitter and stay informed. Join »
"As far as I know right here, right now -- he's going to fight," UFC president Dana White said during a news conference Thursday. "Unless any complications happen, he's good to go."
St. Pierre (22-2) had been scheduled to fight former Strikeforce champion Nick Diaz at UFC 143 in February, but withdrew when he injured the knee last December. Diaz (26-8) ended up suffering a close decision loss to St. Pierre's replacement, Condit (28-5).
ESPN.com ranks St. Pierre as the No. 3 pound-for-pound fighter in the world. He sits second on the UFC all-time list in consecutive title defenses with six, trailing middleweight champion Anderson Silva's streak of 10.
From August 2007 to April 2011, he won 33 consecutive rounds over the course of nine fights -- eight of which carried title implications.
St. Pierre had been optimistic on a November return since undergoing surgery on the knee, tweeting on June 27 he had resumed his full training regimen.
MORE MMA HEADLINES
- Ex-UFC champ Cruz suffers 2nd ACL injury
- UFC says 'Rampage' re-signed; Bellator denies
- UFC: Machida demolishes Dollaway in Round 1
- Evans to return in Feb. 22 bout vs. Teixeira