Fertitta: Crossover a 'one-time' deal
A promotional crossover fight between longtime UFC heavyweight Frank Mir and Strikeforce Grand Prix winner Daniel Cormier is a "one-time situation," not a sign of things to come, according to UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta.
Mir, a former champion, will meet Cormier under the Strikeforce banner on Showtime in October. It marks the first time a major draw for the UFC will cross over since Zuffa, parent company of the UFC, acquired Strikeforce in March 2011.
You're not going to see more of it. This is a one-time situation.” -- UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta
In an interview with ESPN.com, Fertitta stated that fans shouldn't expect that to happen.
"You're not going to see more of it," Fertitta said. "This is a one-time situation."
The unique state of the Strikeforce heavyweight division stands as the major reason the crossover fight was booked.
In December, the promotion announced its intent to dissolve the weight class, but that the winner of the Grand Prix would stay under contract for a final appearance.
Officials had previously stated Cormier (10-0), who defeated Josh Barnett in the Grand Prix finals in May, would head to the UFC in 2013.
Follow us on Twitter
Don't miss a moment of the latest MMA coverage from around the world. Follow us on Twitter and stay informed. Join »
Fertitta stated Mir was approved to head to Strikeforce only after discussions took place with Fox Network, which the UFC entered into a seven-year broadcasting deal with in August 2011.
"It was a situation where Cormier had to fight one more time for Showtime," Fertitta said. "All the Strikeforce heavyweights had come to the UFC and that didn't leave us with a stable of guys. We wanted to put on a very relevant fight that is credible.
"We had to talk to Fox about it and because Cormier is coming to the UFC after this last fight, we could go ahead and give him that fight."
In regards to the matchup itself, Fertitta expressed his excitement on the bout.
"Cormier is the real deal and he's going to be fighting a guy with incredible pedigree," Fertitta said. "If Frank Mir wins, he's all of a sudden back in the mix. From his perspective it was a good thing, otherwise he had to get in the back of the line."
In December, Strikeforce renewed a broadcasting deal with the potential to keep fights on Showtime for multiple years.
Prior to those negotiations, the UFC caused waves by signing away from Strikeforce the likes of Nick Diaz, Dan Henderson and Alistair Overeem. Since the new deal, UFC president Dana White has stated no more Strikeforce talent would move.
MORE MMA HEADLINES
- UFC's Jones: Won't always request drug tests
- Hendricks (biceps) aims for full health by July
- Rousey (9-0) to face Davis at July's UFC 175
- Ortiz to fight Shlemenko on May 17 Bellator card