Former UFC middleweight Jason Miller posted bail on Tuesday and was released from jail after his arrest on suspicion of burglary Monday by the Orange County (Calif.) Sheriff's Department.
Bail was set at $20,000. By posting bail Miller avoided being formally charged in the case at this time. But the matter remains open.
"Generally, and (Miller's) case hasn't come to us yet, if the defendant is arrested and they remain in custody, they are generally, or they need to be, arraigned in a couple of days of their arrest, if they remain in custody," Orange County District Attorney spokesperson Farrah Emami told ESPN.com.
"If they post bail and they are released, then that gives the police department additional time to continue their investigation. When (the defendant) posts bail they are given a date to appear (in Orange County Superior Court).
"Generally, before that date, the case will be presented to the district attorney's office and then we will review it to determine if criminal charges are appropriate. At this point, the case has not been submitted to our office."
It is not known when Miller must appear in court.
Deputies say they found Miller naked on a couch inside Mission Hills Church in Mission Viejo, Calif., on Monday after the church had been broken into and vandalized.
"When officers arrived they saw books and CDs thrown all over the place and broken picture frames on the floors," sheriff's department spokesman Jim Amormino told ESPN.com. "Retardant from a fire extinguisher was sprayed along the church walls.
"Several of the church's windows were broken."
Members of the church informed the sheriff's department that a window had been broken on Saturday evening. That window was boarded up, but had been broken into again when Miller was found inside the church.
It has not yet been determined if Miller is responsible for breaking the window on Saturday.
Miller (28-9, one no-contest) was released by UFC in May following a unanimous-decision loss to CB Dollaway.
It was his second loss in a row since returning to the promotion after a six-year absence.
Miller made a bid for the vacant Strikeforce middleweight title in November 2009, but came out on the short end of a unanimous decision to Jake Shields.