Strikeforce to compensate fighters

Updated: September 26, 2012, 6:07 PM ET
By Franklin McNeil | ESPN.com

Days after canceling its Strikeforce card, Zuffa LLC has decided to financially compensate all 19 fighters impacted by the decision, a source close to the situation confirmed with ESPN.com on Wednesday.

Strikeforce officials announced Sunday night that the decision to cancel was made when Showtime opted not to televise the Sept. 29 event.

Showtime pulled out after being informed that lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez suffered a right shoulder injury last week during training, forcing him to withdraw.

MMAJunkie.com first reported the news on Tuesday.

It marks the second time within a month that Zuffa, the parent company of Strikeforce and UFC, has canceled an event.

UFC 151, scheduled for Sept. 1 in Las Vegas, was canceled Aug. 23 when light heavyweight titleholder Jon Jones opted not to fight late-replacement Chael Sonnen.

Melendez was slated to defend his title against Pat Healy in the main event. The card was to be held in Sacramento, Calif.

Among the fighters impacted by the cancellation were Healy, Jorge Gurgel, Jorge Santiago and Josh Thompson.

Details of the financial compensation each fighter will receive have not been available.

Melendez said he was 'bummed' when he learned the entire card had been scratched.

"I was bummed for my peers and fighters as well," Melendez told ESPN.com. "People are trying to fight, trying to make their money and they're trying to perform.

"But I'm also bummed for the fans who bought tickets and plane tickets to come see me."

ALSO SEE