Jeremy Stephens extradited to Iowa

Jeremy Stephens is being held in Polk County Jail on $100,000 bond after being extradited to Des Moines, Iowa, after his arrest in Minneapolis last Friday on felony-assault charges.

During an altercation last year in the parking lot of a sports bar in Des Moines, the UFC fighter allegedly joined an associate, Dustin James Bachman, in repeatedly attacking an unnamed victim to the head and body, according to the Des Moines Register, which cited police reports.

After being allegedly assaulted by Stephens and Bachman outside Fat Tony's Sports Tap, the victim reportedly made it to a car with the help of his wife when Bachman dragged him out by the feet. Stephens and Bachman then kicked and punched the victim for about a minute, the report said. The victim lost consciousness and stopped breathing twice before being intubated and transported to a hospital in critical condition.

Bachman, 27, was arrested the night of the incident, Oct. 15, 2011, and charged with willful injury and assault causing bodily harm. Stephens spoke to authorities and was not taken into custody.

"There's witnesses that can prove that Jeremy had not assaulted anybody," Stephens' manager, Ryan Hass, told ESPN.com the day after his client was apprehended. "It's definitely a misunderstanding of his name becoming involved, other than him being a UFC fighter, it was his party, and him being friends with the guy that actually did it."

Hass suggested it is "just very unfortunate that you can't get so-called friends to man-up on their charges," and, instead, Bachman attempted to get himself "off the hook" and "take down" an innocent person.

Hass said Stephens, 26, was not contacted by Des Moines police save for a discussion after the incident. Authorities claimed otherwise, stating to the Des Moines Register that Stephens was aware of the outstanding warrant and had several opportunities to surrender in Iowa.

Des Moines police said the first opportunity to arrest the UFC-affiliated lightweight, who lives and trains in San Diego, occurred when he was scheduled to fight Yves Edwards on Oct. 5 in Minneapolis. The warrant stipulated police only could arrest Stephens in Iowa or surrounding states. Local law enforcement handled the arrest, criticized by Hass and Stephen's promoter, UFC president Dana White, for its timing mere hours before Stephens was slated to fight on a nationally televised card.