UFC co-owner dismisses controversy

Updated: September 24, 2013, 3:16 PM ET
By Brett Okamoto | ESPN.com

LAS VEGAS -- UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta says he scored the light heavyweight title fight between Jon Jones and Alexander Gustafsson on Saturday in favor of Jones and sees no "contrive" over the decision.

Jones set a UFC record for consecutive light heavyweight title defenses (six) with a unanimous decision over Gustafsson at UFC 165 in Toronto. All three judges scored the five-round contest for Jones: 48-47, 48-47 and 49-46.

[+] EnlargeJon Jones and Alexander Gustafsson
Instagram @alexthemaulerJon Jones and Alexander Gustafsson were both hospitalized after UFC 165 on Saturday in Toronto.

Many observers, including current and former UFC fighters from all weight classes, took to Twitter to say Gustafsson should have won.

In text messages exchanged with ESPN.com on Monday, Fertitta -- who did not attend the fight -- would not rule out an immediate rematch between Jones (19-1) and Gustafsson (15-2) but dismissed controversy regarding the decision.

"Watched twice. I scored for [Jones] but both guys showed incredible toughness," Fertitta said.

"We need some time to regroup. Give [Jones] some time off before we talk to him. I really don't see any contrive, though, over the fight. It was close, but I thought Jones pulled it out."

Among the fighters who scored the fight for Gustafsson were Josh Barnett, Michael Bisping, Dan Hardy, Martin Kampmann, Chris Leben, Gray Maynard, Tito Ortiz and Chael Sonnen. Notable fighters who scored it for Jones included Daniel Cormier and Kenny Florian.

UFC president Dana White was noncommittal on the prospect of an immediate rematch during a post-fight news conference Saturday. He told ESPN.com a discussion with Fertitta would obviously take place first.

"We've got to see how these guys feel -- if anything's wrong with them," White said. "When you see two guys busted up like they were tonight, they don't want to talk about fighting.

"Yes, people will want to see [a rematch]. It would make sense if it happens, but I'm not even remotely saying that is what's next."

Both Jones and Gustafsson were hospitalized Saturday. Jones suffered a left leg injury and will be re-examined later in the week, sources confirmed to ESPN.com. Gustafsson was released Sunday morning with no serious injuries.

Glover Teixeira (22-2) would be next in line for Jones should the UFC opt against an immediate rematch. The Brazilian light heavyweight was promised a title shot following a first-round TKO victory over Ryan Bader earlier this month.

"I'm next in line," Teixeira told ESPN.com on Saturday. "I should fight Jon Jones."

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.


ALSO SEE