Michael Bisping withdraws from bout

Updated: October 22, 2013, 10:27 AM ET
By Brett Okamoto | ESPN.com

Middleweight Michael Bisping has been forced to withdraw from a main-event bout against Mark Munoz on Oct. 26 in Manchester, England, due to an eye injury, UFC president Dana White told ESPN.com on Friday.

Former light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida, who previously announced plans to move to middleweight, will take Bisping's place, according to White. The bout still will headline UFC Fight Night 30.

"We're going to get him the best treatment possible," White said of Bisping. "Hopefully he'll be able to get through this thing."

Bisping (24-5) underwent eye surgery for a detached retina earlier this year following a technical decision win over Alan Belcher at UFC 159 in April. Bisping has experienced complications with the same eye, White said.

It is unclear whether the injury will affect Bisping, 34, in the long term.

Machida (19-4) was scheduled to make his 185-pound debut Nov. 6 against Tim Kennedy. The Brazilian opted to drop weight classes following a decision loss to Phil Davis at UFC 163 in August.

No replacement has been named to face Kennedy, according to UFC officials.

Munoz (13-3) is the No. 7-ranked middleweight in the world, according to ESPN.com. He is coming off a unanimous decision win over Tim Boetsch at UFC 162.

SPONSORED HEADLINES

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.


ALSO SEE

MORE MMA HEADLINES

MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM