Back to the future: Lakers might again be NBA's brightest light
There is too much focus on the short-term implications of the Los Angeles Lakers' trade for Pau Gasol, even by the man who made the deal.
Did it make the Lakers the immediate favorites in the Western Conference? Not necessarily, but that's not the point. Right now, the Lakers' mid- to long-term prospects look better than anyone else's in the NBA. And that's the real benefit, especially if they just increased the chances that Kobe Bryant will be part of their future.
Read full story
LAKERS GET GASOL
Pau Gasol, traded Feb. 1 to the Lakers from the Grizzlies for Kwame Brown, Javaris Crittenton and two first-round draft picks, brings renewed hope to Kobe and Co.
News• Iavaroni responds to Popovich's stinging criticism
• Pau joins Lakers in D.C., but sits
• Lakers get Gasol: 'A great step' says Kobe
Commentary• Sheridan: Pau's pressure cooker
• Adande: Future much brighter in LA
• Sheridan: Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace's view
• Weekend Dime: Stein on deal questions
• TrueHoop: Memphis side of the story
• TrueHoop: Gasol in the big picture
Analysis• Ford: Ten teams that could have had Pau
• Hollinger: Lakers now the favorites
• Broussard: Lakers join reborn Celtics
Podcast• Daily Dish: Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace
Fantasy• Impact on gamers
Rumor Central• The latest Gasol talk
Trade Machine• Create your own deal
SportsNation:• Adande chat wrap
• Vote: Your take on the deal