Garnett-Bogut incident being reviewed by league officials

The NBA has confirmed that it is reviewing Saturday night's tangle involving Boston's Kevin Garnett and Milwaukee's Andrew Bogut for possible additional penalties.

The league office will look further Monday at the fourth-quarter incident, according to NBA spokesperson Maureen Coyle, with any fines or suspensions to be announced before both teams play again Tuesday.

On the sequence in question, Bogut's left arm caught Garnett in the mouth on the way down as the Australian center drew a shooting foul at the rim. Garnett responded with an open-handed swipe that appeared to connect with Bogut's forehead.

Contact above the shoulders is typically automatic suspension territory, but it remains to be seen how the league will respond given that neither player threw what could be classified as a punch.

In Bogut's case, Milwaukee would undoubtedly argue that Bogut's connection with Garnett was part of his shot's follow-through and purely unintentional. But the league has issued one-game suspensions -- most notably to Kobe Bryant in a January 2007 incident involving San Antonio's Manu Ginobili -- in such cases. For the past few seasons, players have been warned during each team's annual preseason seminar with NBA referees that they will be responsible for any contact with their elbows, intentional or not.

The league took a hard-line stance earlier this week when assessing penalties after Wednesday's Phoenix-Houston scuffle, presumably to send a message of deterrence early in the season. Rockets guard Rafer Alston (two games), the Suns' Matt Barnes (two games), and Steve Nash (one game) all received suspensions for their roles in that shoving match.

The on-court cost for Garnett and Bogut in this instance was a technical foul for each, with Bogut getting ejected because it was his second technical. Garnett wound up fouling out in overtime in Boston's 102-97 road victory.

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here.