Tony Parker to play for French team
PARIS -- Tony Parker will play with a French team during the NBA lockout, earning a mere $1,995 per month despite his star power on and off the basketball court.
ASVEL, based in Villeurbanne, near Lyon in southeast France, announced Wednesday that Parker will join the team.
Parker told the sports daily L'Equipe that the decision is "logical." He is vice president of the club and wants to help it advance.
"I'll be playing nearly for free ... If I play the entire season, we'll go for the title," he said.
Parker has won three NBA championships with the San Antonio Spurs and is a three-time All-Star.
He expects to play his first game Oct. 14 against Paris.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Durant's 42 help OKC secure second seed
- Griz seize No. 7 slot from Mavs with OT win
- Thompson likens Griffin to 'bull in china shop'
- Bucks announce sale of team, won't move
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- The Highland Mint San Antonio Spurs Tony Parker Panoramic Photo Mint