Shoulder sidelines Channing Frye
Phoenix lost 100-88, officially knocking the Suns out of playoff contention.
Suns coach Alvin Gentry started 6-foot-10 rookie Markieff Morris in place of Frye, who is averaging 10.7 points and 5.9 rebounds.
Morris finished with six points and four rebounds in 24 minutes.
Veteran forward Grant Hill returned after missing the past four games with a right knee injury.
Hill came off the bench but played just three minutes.
Howard had four point and a rebound in six minutes of action off the bench.
The Jazz can still secure the seventh seed if the Denver Nuggets lose their final two games.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Durant lauds LeBron's move, unsure of own
- Boeheim calls Rose 'most impressive' player
- Lakers greats hail 'right guy' Scott as coach
- Judge rules for S. Sterling in sale of Clippers
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Trademark Games Phoenix Suns Dart Cabinet