Shoulder sidelines Channing Frye
Phoenix lost 100-88, officially knocking the Suns out of playoff contention.
Suns coach Alvin Gentry started 6-foot-10 rookie Markieff Morris in place of Frye, who is averaging 10.7 points and 5.9 rebounds.
Morris finished with six points and four rebounds in 24 minutes.
Veteran forward Grant Hill returned after missing the past four games with a right knee injury.
Hill came off the bench but played just three minutes.
Howard had four point and a rebound in six minutes of action off the bench.
The Jazz can still secure the seventh seed if the Denver Nuggets lose their final two games.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Kobe: Debut not really as 'bad as I thought'
- Kings get 'proven scorer' Gay from Raptors
- Williams, Pierce hope to return vs. Celtics
- Sources: Clips close in on ex-Spur Jackson
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
The NBA On ESPN.com
- Fan Mats Phoenix Suns Court Runner