Eric Gordon gets qualifying offer
The move, which allows New Orleans to match any offer Gordon receives from another team, was expected. The Hornets previously have stated they intend to re-sign the 24-year-old guard and build around him.
Gordon was limited to only nine games last season because of a bruised right knee that required minor surgery.
He averaged a team-high 20.6 points, and New Orleans was 6-3 when he played. Gordon led New Orleans in scoring in eight of the nine games in which he played.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Sources: Love trade talks narrowed to Cavs
- Riley says Heat OK after LeBron's departure
- Sources: 76ers fighting new lottery proposal
- Stern praises Silver for handling of Sterling
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- The Highland Mint New Orleans Pelicans New Orleans Arena Signature Stadium Photo