Joshua Richardson faces gun charge
NEWARK, N.J. -- Authorities say an executive with the NBA's New Orleans Hornets has been charged with criminal possession of a weapon after a handgun was found in his checked baggage at New Jersey's Newark Liberty International Airport.
The Transportation Security Administration says team vice president of event presentation and broadcasting Joshua Richardson was headed back to Louisiana on Friday when agents found the gun in his bag. It's unclear if the gun was loaded.
Port Authority of New York and New Jersey police say Richardson was charged because he didn't have a permit to possess the weapon in New Jersey.
The TSA says passengers are allowed to put firearms and firearms components in checked baggage as long as all regulations are followed.
The Hornets said Monday they and Richardson won't comment.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Lopez has broken bone in foot, out for Nets
- Thunder tame Spurs, take home 9th in row
- Noah regretful but calls Perkins 'angry dude'
- Buzzworthy: Charlotte unveils Hornets logo
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
The NBA On ESPN.com
- adidas Men's New Orleans Pelicans Official 2013 Draft Day Navy Adjustable Hat