Ivan Johnson to play in China
Free-agent forward Ivan Johnson has signed with the Zhejiang Chouzhou basketball club in China, agent Jeremiah Haylett confirmed to ESPN.com.
While Haylett wouldn't disclose financial details of the contract, he said it has no opt-out clause and it's only for the duration of the CBA season.
"It's a 3½-month season," Haylett said. "We plan on coming back to the NBA after the CBA season."
The 29-year-old Johnson, who became an NBA player in 2011 and has played only for the Atlanta Hawks, was initially campaigning for a mini mid-level contract.
But as the free-agent market changed with similarly sized and skilled forwards signing for the veteran's minimum, Haylett said a deal for around $3 million would be "tough" to get.
Johnson averaged 6.5 points and 3.9 rebounds in two seasons with Atlanta.
MORE NBA HEADLINES
- Lakers rule Kobe out for remainder of season
- Melo: Jackson hire won't impact free agency
- Bird on Pacers: 'Not mad; I'm disappointed'
- Dudley (back spams) returrs to Clips lineup
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
THE NBA ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Atlanta Hawks Al Horford #15 Game Time Navy T-Shirt