Betting 'Big Monday' games
Why Georgetown and Oklahoma are good bets in ESPN's 'Big Monday' games
With football season over, college basketball soon will take the spotlight for gamblers. That means it's time for your weekly chaser columns to turn to college basketball, which has games every night across the country, so there are plenty of opportunities to try to beat the lines.
Every Monday, we'll take a look at the two games airing on ESPN from a gambling perspective, with a pick on the game from Teddy Covers here on Insider.
After winning 14 of its first 15, the Fighting Irish have lost two of their past three. Notre Dame would rather this game be an up-tempo, high-scoring affair, while Georgetown would prefer the opposite. When these teams played last season, Notre Dame scored only 41 points in an 18-point loss.
When we talk about the best home-court advantages in college basketball, the usual venues that come to mind are Cameron Indoor Stadium (Duke Blue Devils) and Allen Fieldhouse (Kansas Jayhawks). There never seems to be much of a mention of Notre Dame's Purcell Pavilion. But Notre Dame is 112-8 over the past seven seasons, including an incredible 47 wins in its past 49 games there. The .933 winning percentage at home over the past seven years is second in the nation behind Kansas.
Georgetown has been an impossible team to figure out, not surprising for a young team with major talent. It has a win over the UCLA Bruins in Brooklyn and a 28-point loss at home on its resume.
Teddy Covers says:
To read more about how to bet the Big Monday college basketball games, become an Insider today.
Insider CBB content
• Greenberg/Telep: Kansas Jayhawks
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Marquette
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Gasaway: Breakout second-year coaches
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game