Best title bets among contenders
Which of the nation's top teams provide the best (and worst) value?
NCAA championship futures are an intriguing place to look for betting value, and at TeamRankings.com we've built sophisticated analytics to evaluate them. Every day, we simulate the remaining college basketball regular season, then go on to simulate the conference tournaments, the NCAA tournament selection and seeding process, and finally the NCAA tournament itself. These simulations, driven by our objective predictive ratings system, together project the odds that each team in Division I will win the NCAA championship.
This article looks at some of the current favorites to win it all, comparing our predicted championship odds with recent odds available from offshore sports books. Any futures bet on the NCAA champion is a long shot, but some bets are better than others when it comes to finding value.
Here are the three best and three worst title bets among contenders. (And for a look at our Sweet 16, Final Four and national championship odds for every team based on Joe Lunardi's latest bracket, click here.)
This isn't (necessarily) a list of the teams most likely to win the national championship, but rather a look at the contenders that provide the best value based on the current title odds they are being given.
TeamRankings odds: 4-1
Our power rankings actually put Florida in the No. 1 overall slot, despite two losses. Why? Their season includes an 18-point win over the Wisconsin Badgers, a narrow road loss to the Arizona Wildcats, a 31-point win over the Missouri Tigers and a number of blowout victories, all of which boost Florida's rating.
To read more on Florida and the rest of the best and worst title bets among this season's top contenders, you must be an ESPN Insider.
Insider CBB content
• Greenberg/Telep: Kansas Jayhawks
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Marquette
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Gasaway: Breakout second-year coaches
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game