Best CBB bets for Thursday
Projecting ATS winners for biggest college basketball games
Dave Tuley has resumed his Tuley's Take on the big midweek college basketball games the past few weeks for ESPN Insider and continues today with a big conference tournament schedule. The next two weeks, he'll break down the Thursday and Saturday games in the NCAA tournament.
I climbed back to the 60 percent mark last Tuesday as I went 2-1 against the spread to improve to 9-6 ATS overall since starting this college basketball column. The one loss was ugly, as Arkansas not only failed to cover the plus-10 against Missouri but ended up losing by 30 points. Fortunately, the sports books don't charge more if a team fails to cover by 20 points; it's the same as if we lose by half a point. And that loss was more than offset by Ohio State's 67-58 win over Indiana (beating the spread by 17 points) and Boise State covering at plus-8 in a 68-64 loss to UNLV.
As ESPN Insider member m_mcconn pointed out in the comments section, if I had taken the favorites instead of just passing when I couldn't make a case for the 'dog, I would have gone 4-1 ATS. I know some people who follow me swear by that method, but I've found when I bet those faves I usually split out (at best), so I prefer to pass in those situations and look for higher-percentage plays.
We're now in the middle of an exciting Championship Week, so let's look at some of the top games on Thursday's card from my Vegas point of view:
Opening line: Louisville minus-9.5
To read all of Dave Tuley's advice on how to bet the big college basketball games on Thursday, you must be an ESPN Insider.
Insider CBB content
• Greenberg/Telep: Kansas Jayhawks
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Marquette
• Gasaway/Rankin: Indiana Hoosiers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Michigan Wolverines
• Gasaway/Rankin: Ohio State Buckeyes
• Greenberg/Finkelstein: Memphis Tigers
• Gasaway/Rankin: Florida Gators
• Greenberg/Telep: Kentucky Wildcats
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Louisville Cardinals
• Gasaway/Finkelstein: Syracuse Orange
• Greenberg/Biancardi: NC State Wolfpack
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Duke Blue Devils
• Biancardi/Gasaway: North Carolina Tar Heels
• Biancardi/Gasaway: Arizona Wildcats
• Greenberg/Telep: UCLA Bruins
• Gasaway: Breakout second-year coaches
• Lunardi: Could Louisville repeat as champs?
• Greenberg: UVA tops list of surprise teams
• Fraschilla: How returning stars can improve
• Gasaway: Top title challengers to Kentucky
• Lunardi: Who will earn No. 1 seeds in 2014?
• Telep: Latest on No. 13 junior Theo Pinson
• Rankin: What Wiggins means for Kansas
• Biancardi: KU to prep Wiggins for NBA success
• Telep: Updated look at top recruits
• Roundtable: Most impressive on AAU circuit?
• Ford: NBA draft lottery preview
• Ford: Winners from the NBA draft combine
• Fraschilla: Burke the draft's top point guard?
• Ford: Measurements concern some GMs
• Ford: Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013
Jay Bilas Blog
Jay's take on latest from around the nation
Analysis from Fraschilla, Greenberg and Lunardi
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Hollinger's College PER
College basketball's top players
Get wagering advice for every game