St. John's 69

(12-11, 5-8 Big East)

Connecticut 77

(17-6, 8-4 Big East)

    2:00 PM ET, February 22, 2003

    Harry A. Gampel Pavilion, Storrs, Connecticut

    1 2 T
    SJU 30 3969
    CONN 37 4077

    Gordon, Huskies hold on in Calhoun's return

    STORRS, Conn. (AP) -- Connecticut got off to its fastest start of the season Saturday and the main man being back on the bench had a lot to do with it.

    Coach Jim Calhoun returned to the sideline 16 days after prostate cancer surgery, nearly a week ahead of schedule, and the (No. 24 ESPN/USA Today, unranked AP) Huskies scored the game's first nine points in a 77-69 victory over St. John's.

    "It just gave us that spark, that jump,'' center Emeka Okafor said. "And we fed off of it the whole game. The crowd got into it and we got into it.''

    The sellout crowd of over 10,000 at Gampel Pavilion welcomed Calhoun with a deafening, standing ovation as he made his way to the bench before the game. Signs in the stands heralded his return and in the student section, seven shirtless men had "Calhoun'' spelled out on their bare torsos.

    "It was an incredible feeling,'' Calhoun said. "I missed the game, I missed the kids, I missed the camaraderie.''

    Ben Gordon led UConn (17-6, 8-4 Big East) with 18 points and Okafor dominated inside with 12 rebounds and nine blocks.

    "We saw Coach was there -- the general's back -- and it got us fired up and ready to go,'' Gordon said.

    The 60-year-old Calhoun was expected to take three-to-four weeks off but felt strong enough to come back early. A bit fatigued after the game, Calhoun said he still needs to make some adjustments as he recovers. He said he'll cut back on practice time and lean even more on assistant coach George Blaney, who guided the team to a 3-2 record in Calhoun's absence.

    "Not only is he an incredible friend, I trust everything he does,'' Calhoun said of Blaney, the former head coach at Holy Cross and Seton Hall.

    Meanwhile, Calhoun's counterpart, Mike Jarvis, made an early exit after picking up two technical fouls in a one-minute span midway through the second half. Steaming as he left, a calmer Jarvis retained his humor after the game.

    "I'm sorry that my mother had to watch her son be escorted out, but that happens once every few years. I got too excited, too emotionally involved,'' Jarvis said. "I was really looking forward to (Calhoun's) return, I was hoping that I could maybe send him home for a couple days' rest, but that wasn't to be.''

    Jarvis was among the many greeting Calhoun with handshakes and hugs as he walked onto the court. A few of the St. John players also walked over to shake his hand.

    Still vocal, but somewhat subdued, Calhoun watched and winced as his team's 18-point second half lead evaporated. Kyle Cuffe scored six points in a 10-0 St. John's run that pulled the Red Storm (12-11, 5-8) within 60-53.

    "I'm sure I'll be tired later, but I did not feel any fatigue at all during the game,'' Calhoun said. "I'm going home to rest right away.''

    The Huskies struggled from the free-throw line late in the game and the Red Storm responded with a 3-pointer from Willie Shaw and two from Marcus Hatten to cut the lead to three points with 1:09 left.

    It wouldn't be enough as UConn closed the game with a 5-0 run that included a floater from Tony Robertson and a dunk by Okafor.

    With his nine blocks, Okafor became the school's career leader with 248 rejections. He surpassed Donyell Marshall's mark of 245 set from 1992-94.

    "I was just trying to hold down the paint,'' Okafor said. "My part is to come in there and make the guards feel comfortable taht if their guy goes by them, I'll be there.''

    Hatten and Cuffe each scored 16 points and Cuffe had a team-high five rebounds before fouling out. The Huskies outscored the Red Storm 42-26 in the paint and had 24 points on fast breaks, compared to six for St. John's.

    Now in his 17th season at Connecticut, Calhoun has led the Huskies to national prominence, peaking with the 1999 NCAA title. With a career record of 640-292, including 14 seasons at Northeastern, Calhoun is eighth among active Division I coaches in victories.

    Calhoun's doctors said the cancer was detected early and is very treatable. Since his Feb. 6 surgery, Calhoun has eased his way back with treadmill workouts and has been the recipient of a steady stream of get-well cards, e-mails and phone calls. One Connecticut company, Lamar Outdoor Advertising, even sponsored a get-well billboard along Interstate 91 in Windsor. "It's been an experience that in a very tough business, there's a heck of a lot of nice people,'' Calhoun said.

    Copyright by STATS LLC and The Associated Press


    2002-03 Season

    Jan 27, 2003 CONN 74, @SJU 68Recap
    » Feb 22, 2003 @CONN 77, SJU 69Recap