Iowa 64

(15-13, 7-9 Big Ten)

Ohio State 66

(15-13, 7-9 Big Ten)

    12:00 PM ET, March 13, 2003

    United Center, Chicago, Illinois

    1 2 T
    IOWA 27 3764
    OSU 23 4366

    Darby's basket keeps Buckeyes alive

    CHICAGO (AP) -- Brent Darby banked in a layup over two defenders with 1.8 seconds left Thursday as Ohio State blew a 12-point lead before holding off Iowa 66-64 in the first round of the Big Ten tournament.

    Darby finished with 18 points, seven assists and six rebounds for the Buckeyes (15-13, 8-9 Big Ten), who beat Iowa last year for the tournament title. Sean Connolly added 15, and Velimir Radinovic had 14 points and seven rebounds.

    Chauncey Leslie scored nine of his 15 points in the last two minutes as Iowa mounted a furious 17-7 run. Brody Boyd also had 15 points, all on 3-pointers.

    Ohio State, the eighth seed, now plays No. 18 Wisconsin, the regular season conference champs, in the second round Friday morning.

    After sleepwalking through the first half, Ohio State finally got its game going in the second. Darby capped an 11-0 run with seven straight points to give the Buckeyes a 59-47 lead and seemingly lock up the game with 2:43 left.

    But the Hawkeyes (15-13, 7-10) weren't ready to quit playing just yet.

    Boyd, the sharp-shooting hero of the championship game two years ago, got Iowa going again with a 3-pointer. Leslie then made back-to-back field goals, including a scoop shot from his hip, to pull Iowa within 59-54 with 1:46 left.

    After Connolly made a pair of free throws, Leslie responded with a layup. Sean Sonderleiter then stole the inbounds pass and scored on a layup to cut Ohio State's lead to 61-58 with 1:22 to play.

    Darby made one foul shot, but Worley came right back with a 3-pointer, pounding his chest as the ball swished through the net. After a timeout, Ohio State scored on Zach Williams' putback.

    But Iowa was right there with another 3, this time from Leslie, to tie the game at 64 with 22.9 seconds left.

    Darby worked the clock, waiting until there were less than five seconds left. Then he shed Leslie and drove to the hoop, jumping over two defenders and banking in the layup from the right side with 1.8 seconds left.

    Leslie took one last shot, but the buzzer sounded before he got his jumper off. It wouldn't have mattered anyway, as the ball hit the rim and rolled off.

    The Buckeyes looked as if they were struggling to stay awake in the first half, shooting just 29 percent and going 6{ minutes without a field goal at one point. But Iowa wasn't much better, and Connolly's 3-pointer with four seconds left pulled the Buckeyes within 27-23 at halftime.

    Copyright by STATS LLC and The Associated Press


    2002-03 Season

    Jan 25, 2003 OSU 83, @IOWA 72Recap
    Feb 25, 2003 IOWA 71, @OSU 64Recap
    » Mar 13, 2003 @OSU 66, IOWA 64Recap