Freshman scores 28, helps Knights rally


PISCATAWAY, N.J. (AP) -- Freshman Quincy Douby scored a
career-high 28 points in his first start and Rutgers rallied from
an eight-point, second-half deficit to defeat Temple 76-71 in the
first round of the NIT on Wednesday night.

The victory was the Scarlet Knights' first in a nonconference
postseason tournament since beating Hofstra in the NIT in 1999.

Rutgers (17-12) will face the winner of a first-round game
between Rhode Island (20-13) and West Virginia (16-13).

The final minutes of the game were marred by a technical foul
call against Owls coach John Chaney with 5:23 to play and his team
down 64-58.

A fan was ejected in the closing seconds for throwing a wrapper
on the floor.

Chaney seemed to get upset after Antywane Robinson of Temple
(15-14) hit the first of two free throws.

Chaney walked to the scorer's table and complained to both the
official scorer and one of the officials over an earlier free
throw. After Robinson missed the second free throw, Chaney
continued to complain and was hit with his first technical of the

Douby, who got the start after reports surfaced that he might
transfer, hit both free throws to push the lead to eight. Marquis
Webb hit a jumper to give Rutgers a 10-point lead.

Temple never got close until the final seconds.

David Hawkins, the nation's fourth-leading scorer with a 24.4
average, had 25 in the final game of his career. Mardy Collins
added 22.

Ricky Shields added 14 points for the Scarlet Knights, while
Herve Lamizana had 13 and Webb 10.

Douby broke a 54-all tie and ignited a 10-3 spurt with a
3-pointer. Shields followed that with a layup for a 59-54 lead.

After Tyreek Byard hit a 3-pointer for Temple, Lamizana made two
free throws and Juel Wiggan hit a 3-pointer for a 64-57 lead.

Douby hit three 3-pointers and scored 11 points in a 16-2 spurt
that rallied the Scarlet Knights to a 50-44 lead.

Hawkins got the Owls right back in the game, hitting a baseline
jumper and a 3-pointer to ignite a 10-4 run. Collins' 3-pointer
tied the game at 54 with 8:54 to play.