Colorado 54, Iowa State 52

AMES, Iowa (AP) -- With his headband, goatee and knee-length
black socks, Colorado's Andy Osborn certainly stands out on a
basketball floor.

Saturday night, he made himself noticed for a different reason.

Osborn hit a 3-pointer with 15.9 seconds left in overtime to
give Colorado the lead and the Buffaloes held on through a frantic
finish to beat Iowa State 54-52 for their first Big 12 victory.

"It looked like they wanted to go after our guards and make
them get rid of the ball," said Osborn, who was 8-for-27 on
3-pointers coming in. "I stepped up and saw there was nobody
within five feet of me, so I just jumped up and shot it."

It was one of the few things that worked right for either team
in a dreary game that had the home crowd of 13,308 restless all
night -- and in a foul mood afterward.

Colorado (9-7, 1-4 Big 12) pulled it out despite going scoreless
the final 4:46 of regulation, committing 20 turnovers and shooting
just 33 percent. The Buffaloes offset those sordid numbers with a
54-35 rebounding advantage, including 22 offensive rebounds that
led to a 21-11 edge in second-chance points.

"In the second half, it seemed we would play decent defense,
get them to miss, but they kept rebounding the ball until they
scored," Iowa State coach Wayne Morgan said. "I think anytime you
give any team 20 second-chance points off the boards, we were
probably lucky not to lose by more than we did."

Iowa State (8-7, 0-4) failed on chances to win it both at the
end of regulation and overtime and lost for the fifth straight
time. It was the Cyclones' 10th straight overtime loss in
conference play since a victory over Nebraska in 1995.

Glean Eddy led Colorado with 12 points and 11 rebounds, while
Chris Copeland scored 10 and Julius Ashby grabbed 13 rebounds for
the Buffaloes, who ended a 13-game losing streak at Iowa State.
Curtis Stinson led Iowa State with 15 points and Will Blalock
scored 14.

"It was probably a real ugly game," Iowa State's John Neal
said. "No one could really get into a rhythm."

Iowa State led 52-50 after Stinson made one of two free throws
with 24.2 seconds remaining. Osborn then got free to the right of
key and swished the 3-pointer to put the Buffs up 53-52.

"He came up at an important time," Eddy said. "We needed that
3. It was clutch."

After Iowa State's Damion Staple missed inside, Osborn got the
rebound and was fouled with 8.4 seconds remaining. He made the
first free throw, missed the second and Eddy ran down the rebound.
But he was called for traveling, giving the ball to Iowa State with
5.5 seconds to play.

Both teams then swatted the ball around after Neal inbounded and
the buzzer sounded as it rolled out of bounds. The officials
checked the TV monitor and put one-tenth of a second back on the
clock, giving Iowa State one last chance.

Blalock lobbed to Jared Homan, who could only bat at the ball.
It fell short and Colorado had the victory. Iowa State fans booed
and some threw towels and other debris onto the floor as the
Colorado players jogged to their locker room.

"Fortunately for us it looked like balled-up tissue and popcorn
boxes, but that's uncalled for," said Colorado coach Ricardo
Patton, who added that Iowa State athletic director Bruce Van De
Velde visited the team in the locker room.

"The athletic director showed a great deal of class by coming
in ... and congratulating the team but also talking about the class
from Andy Osborn. I actually didn't see it, but the athletic
director saw something flagrant done to Andy on the last shot and
just talked to Andy and the team about the class that he showed."

Iowa State scored the final five points of regulation after
Colorado took a 42-37 lead on Marcus Hall's layup with 4:46 to
play. The Cyclones tied it on Homan's free throw at the 1:14 mark,
then missed three shots in the final 8 seconds.