BYU 72, Utah 60

PROVO, Utah (AP) -- There's a reason Brigham Young has yet to
lose consecutive games under coach Dave Rose.

The Cougars don't want to see what Rose would be like if they
lost two straight.

BYU kept that from happening by beating rival Utah 72-60
Saturday just two days after an embarrassing loss at Air Force.

"We didn't have that three or four day festering period where
he could really get into us and we were able to kind of redeem
ourselves right away," said Trent Plaisted, who finished with 12
points and seven rebounds for the Cougars.

Rashaun Broadus had 17 points, including a 3-pointer with 1:20
left to give the Cougars a 12-point lead and end Utah's hopes of
rallying for a fourth-straight victory in the series.

The Cougars (9-4, 1-1 Mountain West) beat the Utes for the first
time in nearly two years, hanging on after Utah (8-5, 1-1) had
rallied to within five points late in the second half.

BYU had just opened its MWC schedule with a 75-59 loss at Air
Force on Thursday. Plaisted said Rose and his assistants actually
took it easy on the Cougars at practice Friday.

"The personality of this team is that they respond well after a
loss," said Rose, who is now 1-0 in the state rivalry.

Johnnie Bryant led Utah with 23 points and Luke Nevill finished
with 14 points and nine rebounds. Bryant Markson, coming off a
career-best 24 points Wednesday in a win over New Mexico, scored
just four points for Utah.

"I think the main thing with him was just not to give him any
easy baskets. He's a scorer, but you have to make him work for
it," BYU's Brock Reichner said.

The Cougars were swept by Utah last season and hadn't beaten the
Utes since March 1, 2004 in Provo. But after going on a 16-4 run to
regain the lead late in the first half, the Cougars never let the
Utes get closer than four the rest of the way.

"It's not going to happen overnight. This is where we are at
right now," Giacoletti said.

Broadus had six rebounds and the two shots that crushed the Utes
at the end. After Plaisted missed a free throw, Reichner got the
offensive rebound and the Cougars got it to Broadus, who drove for
a layup. Broadus followed that with a long 3-pointer to put BYU up
70-58 with about 1:20 left in the game.

Broadus' 3-pointer just beat the shot clock and ended any hopes
Utah had of rallying.

"It felt real good. I was jumping up and down when it went
in," Broadus said. "It was a big-time shot."

After trailing 34-30 at halftime, the Utes kept the Cougars
within range in the second half but could never cut the margin to
less than five.

Bryant made consecutive 3-pointers, although they were a few
minutes apart as both teams went scoreless for a stretch, and his
second cut the lead to 63-58. But Plaisted answered with two free
throws with 3:42 remaining, then took a charge from Markson at the
other end.

Utah struggled from the free-throw line in the second half,
going just 4-for-7 and missed the first shot both times after
reaching the bonus.

The Utes led early, but never recovered after BYU's big run late
in the first half.

After Utah pulled ahead 24-18 on Ricky Johns' 3-pointer, BYU
went on a 16-4 run to retake the lead and was up 34-30 at halftime.
Derek Dawes started the run with two free throws and Lee Cummard
followed with a three-point play to get the Cougars rolling.

Utah had a chance to pull closer at halftime, but after a block
by Nevill, Lawrence Borha took it in for a layup at the buzzer and
was way off the mark.