Stanford 57, Oregon 56

EUGENE, Ore. (AP) -- There's something about McArthur Court that
brings out the best in Chris Hernandez and the Stanford Cardinal.

Hernandez hit a 3-pointer with 11.3 seconds left to lift
Stanford to a 57-56 come-from-behind victory over Oregon on
Thursday night.

The Cardinal (11-7, 7-3 Pac-10) have won seven in a row over the
Ducks (10-12, 4-6) and three straight at Mac Court, needing
last-minute comebacks in each.

"We've had good luck here," Hernandez said. "We've been able
to get some big wins. We feel comfortable here."

Hernandez finished with 20 points, scoring Stanford's last eight
points and sinking the final shot of the game over Brandon Lincoln
from the left wing.

"It looked good and straight when I let it go," he said.
"Time was running out and it was a pretty good look. I just had to
let it go."

Matt Haryasz had 24 points and 14 rebounds for Stanford, which
has won four straight and seven of its last eight overall.

Malik Hairston scored 23 points to lead Oregon, which has lost
four straight games.

"A game like this can rip your heart out somewhat, but you take
the loss and get it behind you," Oregon coach Ernie Kent said.

It's just the latest example of Hernandez' late-game theatrics.

On Sunday, he sank three free throws with two-tenths of a second
remaining against then-No. 10 Washington, forcing overtime in a
game the Cardinal eventually won.

In 2004 at Mac Court, Hernandez scored all 22 of his points in
the second half to lead the then undefeated Cardinal back from a
19-point deficit for an 83-80 victory.

Last year in Eugene, Haryasz hit a jump shot with 14 seconds
left to give the Cardinal a 58-56 win over the Ducks.

On Thursday, it was Hernandez again silencing the raucous crowd.

"Chris did what he's able to do," Stanford coach Trent Johnson
said. "He knocked down a clutch shot at a clutch time."

Oregon had a 12-point lead in the first half and led for most of
the second half, taking a 47-41 advantage on Ray Schafer's reverse
layup with 6:10 to play.

Hernandez' 3-pointer with 1:59 left pulled Stanford within
56-52. He then hit a pair of free throws with 36 seconds to go to
cut the deficit to two.

Oregon's Aaron Brooks missed the front-end of a one-and-one with
29.5 seconds to go, and he turned the ball over twice in the final
seconds. The Ducks, held scoreless in the final 1:42, didn't get a
shot off before the buzzer.

"We just made too many mistakes in the last minute and a
half," Kent said. "It is unfortunate that we couldn't close out
the game."

ESPN Fan Shop Powered By

  • Nike Men's Stanford Cardinal Basketball Cardinal Practice ELITE Stripe ShortsShop

  • Nike Men's Oregon Ducks Green Hyperelite Basketball Game JacketShop