Missouri's Anderson gets first win over ranked opponent

STILLWATER, Okla. -- Mike Anderson's frenetic "40 Minutes of Hell" defense claimed its biggest victory yet for Missouri.

Keon Lawrence scored 18 points and Matt Lawrence added 15 off five 3-pointers as Missouri upset Oklahoma State (No. 20 ESPN/USA Today; No. 18 AP) 75-64 Saturday to give the Tigers their first win over a ranked foe under Anderson.

"You only get confidence by winning, and that's what it does. It gives our team some confidence," the first-year coach said.

The Tigers pulled ahead with an 11-2 run early in the second half, and the Cowboys (19-7, 5-6 Big 12) were never able to make a run and extend their 17-game home winning streak.

"Every time they answered us, we came down and we answered," said Keon Lawrence, who was 8-for-11 and matched his career-high with eight rebounds. "That was key. We needed to keep the crowd out of it."

The Tigers are 3-1 since the freshman Lawrence became a starter.

"He's a hard matchup, especially when you talk about up-tempo basketball," Anderson said. "He was made to play, I think, attack basketball and it was really on display."

The loss could be a crucial blow to the NCAA tournament hopes for the Cowboys, who have lost four of their last five and don't have a road win this season. They lost 83-54 at Texas on Monday night.

"Right now, we're struggling," Oklahoma State forward Mario Boggan said. "We're trying to fight to get in. We need some wins. Right now, we look at it as we're not in there."

It was Oklahoma State's first home loss since Feb. 13, 2006, against Kansas -- on the same day former coach Eddie Sutton announced he'd take a leave of absence following a drunk driving accident.

Boggan and JamesOn Curry each scored 16 and Kenny Cooper added 10 for the Cowboys, who appeared hesitant against Missouri's pressing defense.

"We went through a period of time where we quit attacking," Cowboys coach Sean Sutton said. "When a team presses and they do it all the time, they can sense when a team gets passive. I thought we went through a stretch where we got out of the attack mode and just were trying to get the ball up the court."

For the Tigers, it was their first win in Stillwater since Big 12 play began in 1996. Missouri shot 50 percent and was 10-for-18 from 3-point range.

"I thought our transition game really dictated that," Anderson said. "We were attacking and guys were spotting up. On the road, you've got to make shots, and we did."

Stefhon Hannah converted a three-point play off a scoop layup under the basket, then stole the ball and set up Keon Lawrence's 3-pointer that made it 48-41 as Missouri (16-9, 5-7) started to pull away. Hannah then had to go to the bench after picking up his third foul, but Missouri was able to stretch its lead to 53-43 following Matt Lawrence's 3-pointer and a two-handed dunk by Leo Lyons.

Oklahoma State cut the deficit in half with five straight points, but the Tigers' lead was back to 62-52 after Matt Lawrence's fifth 3-pointer.

It was 67-56 after Marshall Brown beat the shot clock with a 3-pointer from the left wing, and Oklahoma State was never closer than seven after that.

Keon Lawrence hit a driving layup and a foul-line jumper to extend the lead to 12 and send the Cowboys' orange-clad fans streaming toward the exits in the final 2 minutes.

Brown added 12 points for Missouri, which matched its season-high with 22 turnovers but also forced 21 by the Cowboys. Matt Lawrence, who was 5-for-7 from 3-point range, had his most 3s ever in a Big 12 game.

"He was lighting it up tonight," Keon Lawrence said. "We told him, `You've got to shoot the ball. When you're open, don't hesitate.' He didn't hesitate tonight -- from everywhere."

Oklahoma State used Missouri's game early, getting five steals and forcing seven total turnovers to build a 14-3 lead in the first 5 minutes. Matt Lawrence hit a 3-pointer to start a 12-4 comeback for the Tigers, and Darryl Butterfield found Glen Dandridge wide open under the basket for a layup that cut the deficit to 16-15.

Matt Lawrence hit another 3 to give Missouri its first lead at 26-25, and the teams traded the lead four times before Cooper put back Terrel Harris' missed 3-pointer just before the halftime buzzer to tie the game at 35.

"We went out with a mind-set knowing that they were going to try to come out and punch us a little bit and get us back on our heels," Matt Lawrence said. "But we took their punch, we fought back, we got it into a street fight like coach always wants us to."

ESPN Fan Shop Powered By

  • Nike Men's Oklahoma State Cowboys Black Hyperelite ELITE Basketball Game JacketShop