Georgetown blows out Savannah St. by biggest margin in nearly 19 years

WASHINGTON -- It was a night to remember for Georgetown and one that Savannah State would like to forget.

The 19th-ranked Hoyas beat the overmatched Tigers 100-38 on Monday night, their biggest margin of victory in nearly 19 years. On Dec. 16, 1989, they beat the University of the District of Columbia 112-39.

Georgetown (6-1) was simply dominant. The Hoyas shot 69.8 percent from the field (37-of-53) and held Savannah State (5-4) to 22.8 percent (13-of-57). The Tigers have lost four of five.

DaJuan Summers, Austin Freeman and Jessie Sapp all had 14 points to lead Georgetown, while freshman Greg Monroe added 13.

"It's not about the score. It's not about the opponent," Georgetown coach John Thompson III said. "It's about us."

Two days after holding American University to 12 points in the first half, the Hoyas continued their first-half invincibility, leading Savannah State 57-15.

A 3-pointer by Savannah State's Raye Bailey at the buzzer prevented Georgetown from holding consecutive opponents to 12 first-half points.

After the 24-point win over American, Thompson was displeased with his team's performance. With Memphis (No. 15 ESPN/USA Today, No. 17 AP) up next on Saturday, he was very pleased.

"It's encouraging -- regardless of who's coming in here," Thompson said. "For the most part, our guys were extremely focused throughout the game."

In the first half, the Hoyas missed just eight of 29 shots while the Tigers made only six of 32.

Bailey led the Tigers with 14 points.

Savannah State is coached by Horace Broadnax, a Georgetown guard in the mid-1980s. They barely resembled the team that lost by two points in overtime at Michigan on Nov. 29.

"We kind of wore Michigan down a little," Broadnax said. "But we fatigued and were still hung over from that Michigan game."

Broadnax fully appreciates the vast difference between the programs. He took over a team that lost all 28 of its games before he became coach in April 2005. His school has a modern gym, but few athletes who can compete on Georgetown's level.

"It's a Mercedes-Benz with no gas in it," Broadnax said. "We're a Division I team in name [only]."

Unfortunately for Savannah State, things didn't get better in the second half.

Despite beginning the half with consecutive 3-pointers by Anthony Jones and Bailey to cut Georgetown's lead to 57-21, the Hoyas quickly resumed the pounding. The largest lead was 100-36 with 47 seconds to play.

"A game like that is fun as long as we continue doing what you have to do," Sapp said. "When you're up by that much, it was fun."

Georgetown scored the game's first seven points, and ran to a 14-3 lead with 15:22 remaining in the first half. The Hoyas led by 21 points midway through the half, and a 25-2 run gave them a 42-9 lead with 6:11 left before halftime.

"They obviously were a little overwhelmed," Thompson said. "And we played well."