7:05 PM ET, March 28, 2009
TD Garden, Boston, Massachusetts
Reynolds' driving layup in final second lifts Villanova over top-seeded Pitt
BOSTON -- It was physical. It was defensive. It was just the way they like it in the Big East.With bodies clogging the lane and 3-pointers clanging off the rim, Scottie Reynolds made a half-court dash for a last-second basket to give Villanova a 78-76 victory over Pittsburgh and send the Wildcats to their first Final Four since the 1985 team made its stunning run to the NCAA championship.
• Villanova reaches the Final Four for the first time since 1985 and the fourth time in school history (1939, 1971, 1985, 2009).
• The Wildcats went 22 of 23 from the free-throw line, posting their NCAA-record 15th win as a lower seed. Pitt has been a top-three seed now seven times and has failed each time to reach the Final Four.
• Pitt fell to 1-7 all-time vs. top-five seeds.
• DeJuan Blair was a perfect 9-for-9 from the field, finishing with 20 points and 10 rebounds.
• Villanova guard Scottie Reynolds was just 3-for-10 from the field prior to the game-winning shot. Dwayne Anderson led the Wildcats with 17 points.
• They are the first three seed to reach the Final Four since Florida in 2006.
-- ESPN research
By taking out Pitt on Saturday, Villanova showed it can win against any style of play. UNC and Oklahoma should be concerned. Story
Katz: Motown BoundIt was a frenzied final few minutes, but Scottie Reynolds' last-second, game-winning shot put Villanova on its way to Detroit, writes Andy Katz. Story
No Help From Their Friends
DeJuan Blair was a perfect 9-for-9 from the floor, all of which came in the paint. However, besides Blair and Sam Young, the Panthers were abysmal in close.
|Blair/Young||Rest of team|
NCAA Mens Tournament
Team Stat Comparison
|FG Made-Attempted||25-56 (.446)||25-52 (.481)|
|3P Made-Attempted||6-20 (.300)||5-18 (.278)|
|FT Made-Attempted||22-23 (.957)||21-29 (.724)|
|Fouls (Tech/Flagrant)||24 (0/0)||18 (0/0)|
|» Mar 28, 2009||VILL 78, @PITT 76||Recap|