6:07 PM ET, April 4, 2009
Morgan breaks out of slump as Michigan State topples Connecticut in Final Four
DETROIT -- As his Michigan State teammates hustled downcourt, Kalin Lucas looked around at a stadium ablaze in green and white, turned on his megawatt smile and raised both his arms.No worries, he seemed to be saying, we've got you.
Michigan State controlled the tempo with solid all-around play. Many expected UConn to dominate inside but that wasn't the story. UConn struggled outside the paint with only 18 field-goal attempts coming on mid-range or 3-point shots.
|Jump shot pct.||36.0||25.0|
More Content on ESPN.com
Michigan State's Raymar Morgan had been missing in action for February and March for a number of reasons. But say hello to Mr. April, writes Pat Forde. Forde
Connecticut coach Jim Calhoun said there's something special going on with Tom Izzo's Michigan State club, which finds itself just one win away from an NCAA title, writes Andy Katz. Katz
• Schlabach: Instant Analysis
• Insider Intel: Both teams rely on up tempo offenses, but has MSU mastered what UNC has been preaching all season? Story
• The Spartans advanced to the championship game for the first time since 2000 and knocked off their second straight No. 1 seed from the Big East.
• The loss was the first for Jim Calhoun and the Huskies in the Final Four.
• Raymar Morgan (18 points) and Korie Lucious (11) gave MSU unexpected contributions. The two had combined for 10 points in the previous three games, and Morgan didn't score against Louisville.
• The MSU bench outscored Connecticut's 33-7.
• A.J. Price struggled from the field, shooting just 5-for-20 in his worst shooting game since Feb. 14 (2-for-10 against Seton Hall).
• The 82 points surrendered by UConn were the most the Huskies have allowed in a regulation tournament loss since an 82-78 loss to Texas in the 2003 Sweet 16.
-- ESPN Stats and Information
NCAA Mens Tournament
Team Stat Comparison
|FG Made-Attempted||31-72 (.431)||25-59 (.424)|
|3P Made-Attempted||6-19 (.316)||2-6 (.333)|
|FT Made-Attempted||14-20 (.700)||21-33 (.636)|
|Fouls (Tech/Flagrant)||25 (0/0)||18 (0/0)|
|» Apr 4, 2009||MSU 82, @CONN 73||Recap|