2:00 PM ET, January 9, 2011
Value City Arena, Columbus, Ohio
No. 2 Ohio State escapes from Minnesota after final shot is deflected
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Neither Minnesota coach Tubby Smith nor Ohio State's Thad Matta was happy with the officiating.Gentlemen, welcome to the hand-to-hand combat annually known as the Big Ten's regular season.No. 2 Ohio State survived a scare when Austin Hollins' 3-pointer came up short in the final seconds, allowing the Buckeyes to remain unbeaten with a 67-64 victory over Minnesota on Sunday.
• Ohio State led by as many as 18 points but needed a missed 3 by Minnesota's Austin Hollins to hang on for the win.
• The Buckeyes improved to 16-0, the best start under coach Thad Matta, and the fourth best start in program history.
• Jared Sullinger had his third double-double in his past four games.
• Trevor Mbakwe, the only Big Ten player averaging more rebounds per game than Sullinger, finished with 12 boards in the loss.
• The home team has won all seven regular season matchups between the teams since Tubby Smith took over at Minnesota.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
Ohio State is off to the fourth best start in program history. The Buckeyes are one win away from a 17-0 start, something they haven't accomplished since the 1990-91 season.
Ohio State's Best Starts
|1960-61||27-0||NCAA Title game|
|1961-62||22-0||NCAA Title game|
|1990-91||17-0||NCAA Regional Semifinal|
|2005-06||11-0||NCAA 2nd Round|
|2008-09||9-0||NCAA First Round|
Team Stat Comparison
|FG Made-Attempted||19-45 (.422)||22-56 (.393)|
|3P Made-Attempted||2-14 (.143)||8-22 (.364)|
|FT Made-Attempted||24-27 (.889)||15-23 (.652)|
|Fouls (Tech/Flagrant)||22 (0/0)||20 (0/0)|