6:30 PM ET, March 16, 2011
University of Dayton Arena, Dayton, Ohio
Melvin Johnson III's career game helps UTSA run over Alabama State
DAYTON, Ohio -- Melvin Johnson III insists he's in a deep shooting slump.Oh, really?The smooth guard with "SWISH" scrawled on the side of each orange shoe scored a career-high 29 points Wednesday night, putting on the most scintillating show so far in the NCAA tournament while leading Texas-San Antonio to a 70-61 victory over Alabama State in the "First Four" round.
• Texas-San Antonio led by as many as 28 and then held off Alabama State for its first NCAA tournament victory after three losses.
• Melvin Johnson III scored 25 of his career-high 29 points in the first half.
• Jeromie Hill had a double-double with 14 points and 11 rebounds and Devin Gibson added 10 points for the Roadrunners (20-13), who have won their past five games.
• Alabama State (17-18) shot just 35.5 percent (22 of 62).
• Texas-San Antonio advances to play top-seeded Ohio State in the second round Friday in Cleveland.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
NCAA Mens Tournament
Team Stat Comparison
|FG Made-Attempted||23-54 (.426)||22-62 (.355)|
|3P Made-Attempted||4-16 (.250)||7-26 (.269)|
|FT Made-Attempted||20-30 (.667)||10-12 (.833)|
|Fouls (Tech/Flagrant)||14 (0/0)||22 (0/0)|
|» Mar 16, 2011||UTSA 70, @ALST 61||Recap|
Texas-San Antonio leads by 27 at the break, which would easily be the largest win by a 16 seed in the history of the Men's Basketball Championship. 16 seeds are 0-104 vs 1 seeds but have played other 16 seeds since 2001. Alabama State has seen this before, losing by 16 to Morehead State 2 years ago.[+]
Largest Win by 16 Seed - Men's Basketball Championship History
Since 2001, the first season two 16-seeds began playing each other in the Men's Basketball Championship, this is just the second time that one of these games has gone into Overtime... The only other time it happened was in 2003. UNC Asheville was also involved in that game as well defeating Texas Southern 92-84 in OT
ESPN Stats & Information