12:40 PM ET, March 17, 2011
Verizon Center, Washington, DC
WASHINGTON -- Sometimes, a game-winning play is craftily designed and enacted with precision by each of the five players on the floor.And sometimes, the decisive basket is the result of an enormous amount of luck.The play that Butler used to beat Old Dominion 60-58 on Thursday fell squarely into the latter category. Afterward, the Bulldogs made no apologies -- especially because their previous foray into the NCAA tournament ended when a last-second shot failed to go their way.
• Matt Howard's layup at the buzzer gave Butler the victory. Howard finished tied for a team-high 15 points with Shelvin Mack.
• The Bulldogs also beat Old Dominion in the round of 64 in 2007.
• The Horizon League has won at least one game in seven straight NCAA tournaments, the longest active streak among non-power conferences.
• Under Brad Stevens, the Bulldogs are 14-3 in the month of March.
• Old Dominion lost its second game in its past 15. The Monarchs are 3-11 all-time in the NCAA tournament.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
NCAA Mens Tournament
Team Stat Comparison
|FG Made-Attempted||16-45 (.356)||22-54 (.407)|
|3P Made-Attempted||5-15 (.333)||7-26 (.269)|
|FT Made-Attempted||21-27 (.778)||9-11 (.818)|
|Fouls (Tech/Flagrant)||17 (0/0)||21 (0/0)|
|» Mar 17, 2011||@BUT 60, ODU 58||Recap|
Old Dominion led the nation in rebounding margin entering the NCAA Tournament at +12.2. They were outrebounded by Butler 33-32 in Thursday's game.
ESPN Stats & Information