Princeton 59, Rutgers 57

PISCATAWAY, N.J. -- Ian Hummer scored 21 points and hit the game-winning layup with 3 seconds left to give Princeton a 59-57 win over Rutgers on Wednesday night.

Douglas Davis added 16 points and Denton Koon 10 for the Tigers (4-5), who let a 17-point lead evaporate in the final seven minutes and had to rally for the win.

Eli Carter had 17 points and sparked a furious comeback for the Scarlet Knights (4-5), who lost their second straight and dropped below .500 for the first time this season. Myles Mack added 11 for Rutgers.

Princeton had its largest lead at 49-32 with 7:58 remaining and led 52-37 when Carter scored seven straight, igniting a 15-0 Rutgers run that tied it with 2:33 left.

After Carter made 1 of 2 foul shots to tie it again at 57, Princeton called timeout with 14 seconds left. Davis then threw a pass to Hummer, who spun into the lane and drove for the layup. Jerome Seagears' desperation 3-pointer fell short.

Hummer added eight rebounds and five assists, while T.J. Bray had eight rebounds and four assists for the Tigers.

Dane Miller had eight points and nine rebounds for Rutgers.

In winning their third straight and beating their long-time in-state rival for the second straight year, Princeton snapped a five-game losing streak at Rutgers.

The Knights did not take their first lead in the game until Miller made two foul shots to make it 54-53 with 1:38 remaining. Hummer missed a shot inside, but Koon grabbed the rebound for a putback that gave Princeton a 55-54 advantage.

After a Rutgers timeout, Dane Miller spun into the lane for a layup with 47 seconds remaining.

Hummer regained the advantage for the Tigers on two free throws with 33 seconds left and Carter could make just 1 of 2 at the line to tie it for Rutgers with 19 seconds remaining. Princeton inbounded and called timeout to set up the winning play.

Rutgers shot just 37.7 percent (20 for 53) and committed 18 turnovers. The Tigers were not much better at 40.8 percent (20 for 49) and 17 turnovers.

Princeton opened an 8-0 lead as Rutgers did not score until 12:57 remained in the first half. That ended a drought of 14:08 without a field goal, as the Scarlet Knights did not make a basket over the final 7:05 in their last game against LSU.

The Tigers had their biggest lead at 11-2 before a 16-7 run enabled the Knights to tie it at 18. Princeton responded with an 8-2 run in the final 3:44 of the half to take a 26-20 lead.