(14) Kansas State 64

(7-2, 3-2 Big 12)

Kansas 0

(2-8, 0-6 Big 12)

2:00 PM ET, November 2, 2002

Memorial Stadium (Lawrence, KS), Lawrence, KS

1 2 3 4 T
#14KSU 30 13 21 064
KU 0 0 0 00

K-State enjoys biggest romp ever over Jayhawks

LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) -- The 100th meeting between Kansas State and Kansas was the biggest blowout of all.

Ell Roberson ran for three touchdowns and threw for another -- all before halftime -- as No. 14 Kansas State routed the Jayhawks 64-0 Saturday.

Ell Roberson

Kansas State quarterback Ell Roberson ran for three TDs and passed for another in the blowout win.

"I didn't think it would be this easy, but if you have an offense that's clicking and a defense that can shut them out, it can happen,'' Roberson said.

Darren Sproles added 110 yards rushing and two TDs for the Wildcats, who had five touchdown drives of 1 minute or less and outgained Kansas 494-115 in the most lopsided game in series history.

The Wildcats' biggest previous victory against the Jayhawks was 54-6 in 1998, when first-year Kansas coach Mark Mangino was in his final year as a Kansas State assistant. The widest margin overall had been Kansas' 55-0 shutout in 1947.

The Jayhawks (2-8, 0-6 Big 12) have not beaten the Wildcats (7-2, 3-2) for the Governor's Cup since 1992.

Roberson had two 4-yard TD runs and threw a 19-yard scoring pass to James Terry as Kansas State opened up a 30-0 lead by the end of the first quarter. The quarterback added a 1-yard run late in the first half to put the Wildcats up 43-0.

That was the most points Kansas had yielded in a half since 1988, when the Jayhawks gave up 49 points in the first half of a 63-10 loss to Nebraska.

Roberson was 9-for-14 for 157 yards passing and ran 13 times for 60 yards before being replaced by Marc Dunn early in the third quarter.

"He proved to everybody today that he could throw the ball,'' Kansas linebacker Nick Reid said. "That was the big question coming into the game.''

Dunn threw an interception on his only pass attempt -- one of just two passes the Wildcats threw after halftime -- but ran for a 4-yard TD to put Kansas State up 64-0 late in the third quarter.

Kansas State's defense forced six turnovers and got a safety on the Jayhawks' first play from scrimmage. The Wildcats held Kansas to 14 first-half yards, minus-11 in the first quarter.

Sproles, who got his fifth straight 100-yard game, had TD runs of 8 yards in the first quarter and 26 yards in the third. His first scoring run, for a 16-0 lead, came two plays after a low snap led to Kansas punter Curtis Ansel being tackled at his own 11.

Defensive end Andrew Shull and linebacker Bryan Hickman, who each recovered a fumble, teamed up for the safety. They tackled running back Clark Green in the end zone one play after Terence Newman downed Travis Brown's punt at Kansas' 1-yard line.

"As early as it was in the game, that was the turning point,'' said Mangino, who was an assistant under Kansas State coach Bill Snyder for seven years. "The kids are just not able to get over a bad play.''

The Jayhawks, playing without injured starting quarterback Bill Whittemore, didn't even break into positive yardage until third-stringer Brian Luke completed a 3-yard pass to Derick Mills with 9½ minutes left in the first half.

By then, they trailed 36-0.

Whittemore injured his left knee in Kansas' 36-12 loss to Missouri a week ago. He leads the team in total offense with 2,215 yards this season.

Jonas Weatherbie, who started in place of Whittemore, was 2-for-9 for zero yards passing and one interception before being replaced. Luke was 7-of-18 for 74 yards, with one interception. He also lost two fumbles and was sacked twice.

Snyder said he noted Whittemore's absence when he talked to Mangino after the game.

"I told him I think they're a far better football team when their other quarterback is in the game,'' Snyder said. "It's tough to play when you lose players.''

Mangino said he expected Whittemore to be able to play next week at Nebraska.

"If I could convince our medical staff, I'd wheel him out there myself,'' he said.

Luke threw a 31-yard pass to Charles Gordon and ran for 17 yards on the next play early in the fourth quarter, leading Kansas to the Wildcats' 31.

Kansas State's first-stringers came back on the field -- without being told to by the coaching staff, linebacker Josh Buhl said -- and snuffed the drive two plays later when Hickman recovered Green's fumble at the 22-yard line.

"Our No. 2s didn't step up, and we came back in and got some big plays,'' Buhl said. "We wanted that shutout for our defense, for our confidence.''

Joe Rheem kicked field goals of 37 and 28 yards in the second quarter for Kansas State, and Ayo Saba ran 2 yards for a 57-0 lead late in the third.