California 17

(5-6, 3-3 Pac-12)

Oregon 21

(6-4, 3-3 Pac-12)

Coverage: TBS

10:00 PM ET, November 8, 2003

Autzen Stadium, Eugene, OR

1 2 3 4 T
CAL 0 10 0 717
ORE 0 7 0 1421

Oregon 21, California 17

EUGENE, Ore. (AP) -- Benched after an ineffective first quarter, Oregon quarterback Kellen Clemens watched from the sidelines as his team continued to fall further behind.

Clemens was finally given the chance bring the Ducks back and the sophomore promptly led Oregon to two late scores as the Ducks came from behind to defeat California 21-17.

Clemens threw a 31-yard touchdown pass to Tim Day with 4:19 remaining and tailback Terence Whitehead scored on a one-yard option run with 47 seconds left as the Ducks erased a 17-7 deficit. It was the first fourth-quarter comeback orchestrated by Oregon in 18 games.

"It's good to get a win in this situation," Clemens said. "For this team, this means a lot with the adversity we've faced."

Clemens, who was pulled after completing only 1-of-6 passes for 14 yards, finished the night 9-of-18 for 117 yards.

"I was pretty wound up in the beginning," Clemens said. "I never lost confidence in myself."

The game was delayed for 23 minutes when the lights on the south side of Autzen Stadium went out with 14:40 left in the game because of a control problem in the stadium's computerized lighting system.

"I knew it was going to be a special fourth quarter when the lights went out," Oregon coach Mike Bellotti said. "We were our own worst enemy in the first half. We won the fourth quarter and the game. Kellen Clemens came in and gave us a spark."

The loss spoiled the return to Eugene for Cal coach Jeff Tedford, who left an assistant's job at Oregon in 2001 to take over the Bears. It was the first time Tedford's new team had faced his old one.

"It was another football game," Tedford said. "There are people I know on the other side, but no, it was not an emotional game."

The Bears had one last chance to win when they took over with 47 seconds left and drove down to the Oregon 33 before quarterback Aaron Rogers was intercepted by Keith Lewis with four seconds remaining.

The Ducks' game-winning drive began at the Bears 43 and nearly stalled when Clemens threw back-to-back incompletions on second and third down. On fourth-and-2 from the 35, Clemens found receiver Demetrius Williams open for a 19-yard gain.

Another completion to Williams moved the ball to the 3. Two plays later, Clemens pitched to Whitehead, who went untouched into the end zone.

Clemens re-entered the game on the Ducks' previous possession, and completed four of five passes for 63 yards. Day scored on a 31-yard play, breaking three tackles on his way to the end zone.

Oregon forced a three-and-out on Cal's next drive.

Cal struck first on a 1-yard run by Adimchinobe Echemandu early in the second quarter that capped a 17 play, 87-yard drive. Echemandu rushed for only 65 yards on 24 carries.

Fife then led the Ducks down the field before hitting Samie Parker on a 13-yard fade pattern for the score to tie it.

Fife connected on all four of his passes for 68 yards on the drive, including a 32-yard completion to Williams on third-and-17 from the Ducks 17.

The Bears took a 10-7 lead into halftime on a career-long 53-yard field goal by kicker Tyler Fredrickson late in the second quarter. ^