W Michigan 19

(2-2, 1-2 away)

Temple 16

(0-4, 0-2 home)

1:00 PM ET, September 24, 2005

Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia, PA

1 2 3 4 T
WMU 2 14 0 319
TEM 13 3 0 016

Top Performers

Passing: R. Cubit (WMU) - 191 YDS, 2 TD, 1 INT

Rushing: U. Ferguson (TEM) - 33 CAR, 110 YDS, 1 TD

Receiving: G. Jennings (EAST) - 11 REC, 79 YDS, 1 TD

Western Michigan 19, Temple 16

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Nate Meyer kicked a 33-yard field goal as time expired to give Western Michigan a 19-16 win over winless Temple on Saturday.

The Broncos (2-2) stormed the field as they celebrated their first two-game winning streak since late in the 2003 season. Several Owls lay stunned, their best real chance at a victory gone and another horrible ending added to one of the worst programs in football.

The Owls (0-4) had plenty of chances to win -- a botched extra point attempt cost them two points that came back to haunt them. The Broncos also let several scoring opportunities slip away in a game that lasted nearly four hours.

It took Western Michigan backup quarterback Robbie Haas to lead the winning drive. Haas had the pass of the game, connecting with Tony Scheffler on a nice sideline route that allowed the tight end to get out of bounds at the 20 with about 30 seconds left.

Mark Bonds had a couple of short runs to make it a chip shot for Meyer, who is 8-for-10 this year.

Trovon Riley ran for 91 yards for Western Michigan and Tony Scheffler caught seven passes for 118 yards. Temple's Umar Ferguson rushed for 110 yards.

Haas was needed after Ryan Cubit's solid game came to a horrible end when he was seriously hurt when he was hit on a completed pass late in the third quarter. Cubit, son of Western Michigan coach Bill Cubit, did not get up and was wheeled off the field. He went 18-for-29 for 191 yards and two touchdowns.

Haas took over and promptly had a pass intercepted by Adam Fichter, but in a typical Temple setback, Fichter was penalized for spiking the ball.

Western Michigan has plenty to celebrate. The Broncos overcame an 11-point deficit last week and beat Division I-AA Southern Illinois 34-28 for their first win since Sept. 2, 2004.

The Owls haven't won since beating Syracuse 34-24 on Nov. 13 and were outscored 170-33 to teams with a combined 8-1 record in their first three losses to Arizona State, Wisconsin and Toledo.

A sparse crowd turned out at Lincoln Financial Field, with maybe 1,500 fans in the stands for kickoff. On the visitor's side of the stadium, the second level and upper deck were empty. Only a few fans were in the end zone seats and the biggest cheers came at halftime for a kid's football game.

Temple got a 2-yard TD run from Josh Bundy and a 2-yard run from Ferguson to take a 13-2 lead in the first quarter. After Bundy's run, the Owls' extra point attempt was blocked and returned by Ameer Ismail for two points.

Cubit's 8-yard touchdown pass to Joe Gardner made it 13-9. Temple's kicking woes struck again, this time when Jake Hendy's punt was blocked by Seth Quivey and recovered by Cornelius Robinson.

Western Michigan converted the turnover into a touchdown when Cubit connected with Ryan Jennings for a 17-yard TD pass and a 16-13 lead. Jennings became the school's career leader in touchdowns with 28 and has caught a pass in 27 straight games.

Bruce Gordon's 22-yard reception set up a 26-yard tying field goal from Ryan Lux with 1:38 left in the half.