Iowa State survives Army upset bid

WEST POINT, N.Y. (AP) -- Iowa State coach Dan McCarney was the
first to admit his team was outplayed and outcoached in the first
half against an Army team eager to beat a ranked opponent for the
first time in 33 years.

But the 22nd-ranked Cyclones regrouped at halftime and ground
out a 28-21 win to ruin Army's first-ever Friday night game at
Michie Stadium.

"We knew Army wanted to knock off a ranked team," McCarney
said. "We made lots of mistakes. They did a better job of coaching
and playing in the first half than we did. We had to turn that
around in the second half and we did."

Ryan Kock scored on two short runs in the fourth quarter as Iowa
State came back to beat the Black Knights, who were playing just
the fourth night game in the 82-year history of their home field.
With the Corps of Cadets donning fatigues to cheer on their team,
Army (0-3) was poised to beat a ranked opponent for the first time
since it defeated 15th-ranked Air Force here in 1972.

But Iowa State (3-0) didn't panic after falling behind 21-14
late in the third quarter. With Army holding Cyclones leading
rusher Stevie Hicks to just 22 yards on nine carries, Kock, a 6-1,
240-pound fullback, scored on runs of 4 and 3 yards in the fourth
quarter to make it 28-21.

"They're very down," Army coach Bobby Ross said of his
players. "But these kids are resilient."

Ross praised the play of his defense, which held Iowa state to
just 71 yards rushing, and that of running back Carlton Jones, who
rushed 34 times for 122 yards and caught three passes for 39 yards.

"Boy, he played hard," Ross said. "That's a very, very
complete ballgame for him."

Army had two chances to tie the game after Kock's second score.
The first chance ended when the Black Knights couldn't convert a
fourth-and-3 at the Iowa State 22 with under a minute left. Army
got the ball back with 10 seconds left but quarterback Zac Dahman
was sacked at midfield as time ran out.

Caleb Campbell's third-quarter interception of a tipped pass by
Bret Meyer gave Army the ball at the Iowa State 40. Three carries
by Jones moved it to the 17 and a pass from Dahman to Jared
Ulekowski gave Army a first-and-goal at the 1. Four plays later,
Scott Wesley powered it in from the 1 to give Army a 21-14 lead.

McCarney said Hicks wasn't "100 percent" but the coach
declined to elaborate. While stifling the Iowa State running back,
Army also intercepted Meyer three times.

"We just got pretty tired of offenses running up several
hundred yards on us," Campbell said.

In the fourth, an interception by DeAndre Jackson gave Iowa
State the ball at the Army 27. That led to a 4-yard TD run by Kock
that tied the game 21-all with 11:07 to play. The score came after
Army sacked Meyer on a fourth-and-2, but a 5-yard facemask penalty
kept the drive going.

Jackson also returned to kicks for a total of 125 yards.

"I know that my guys are going to be accountable. I depend on
them to make their blocks and lock in on their keys, and they
depend on me to make good plays," he said. "I saw the open holes
and hit them hard."

Meyer finished 18-for-26 for 158 yards and two touchdowns.

Dahman's 233 passing yards gave him 5,655 for his career,
breaking the Army record of 5,502 set by Leamon Hall from 1974-77.
Dahman was 19-of-33 and was intercepted twice.

Army outgained Iowa State 232-128 in the first half but could
only manage a 14-7 lead at halftime on two touchdown passes from

Army squandered a chance to increase the lead just before
halftime when it took possession at its own 17 with 1:55 to go and
drove to the Iowa State 21 with 20 seconds left. But Dahman was
called for intentional grounding, pushing Army back to the 31. Joe
Riley, who missed three field goals in last week's loss to Baylor,
came up short from 48 yards out as the half ended.