Wake Forest 21, Army 10

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP) -- Wake Forest's offense couldn't get much going against Army, so the Demon Deacons left the scoring to their defense and special teams.

Aaron Curry returned an interception 84 yards for a touchdown, and Wake Forest held Army to 56 total yards in the second half of a 21-10 victory over the Black Knights on Saturday.

"It was a really big play that we needed -- the pace was kind of slow, and nobody was really playing to (their) fullest potential," Curry said. "That kind of gave everybody hope just to make plenty more after that."

Kenneth Moore brought a punt back 55 yards for another score for the Demon Deacons (1-2), who avoided their first 0-3 start under coach Jim Grobe by keeping things simple and calling just two passes in the first half for second-time starting quarterback Brett Hodges.

"I thought (the defense) had their backs against the wall several times, and found a way to make things happen," Grobe said. "Offensively, we weren't able to do much at all, (but) the defense ... made the difference in the game. We dodged a lot of bullets out there today."

Redshirt freshman Josh Adams rushed nine times for 64 yards and a 10-yard touchdown run. The defending Atlantic Coast Conference champions were outgained 256-213, yet never trailed and managed to bounce back after starting the season with losses to nationally ranked Boston College and Nebraska.

"Sometimes when you've lost two or three like we have, the hardest thing to do is to get back into the win column," Grobe said.

Mike Viti rushed 3 yards for a touchdown and Adam DeMarco kicked a 36-yard field goal for Army (1-2), which lost its ninth straight game against teams from Division I-A.

"We know we're not very deep," Army coach Stan Brock said. "We have to play at a more consistent level offensively for us to compete and win."

Curry's interception came late in the first half and extended Wake Forest's lead into double figures for good. The Demon Deacons led 14-7 and Army had the ball deep in their territory after John Laird recovered Kevin Marion's fumble at the 23.

Three plays later, Carson Williams lofted a pass into the red zone and Curry leaped to pick it off at the 16, then raced untouched down the left sideline before cutting back to finish off the fourth-longest interception return in school history.

"He threw the ball to me," Curry said. "I don't think I was going to let anybody touch me. I was going full speed, and as soon as I caught it, I was thinking touchdown."

Williams was 14-for-34 for 165 yards with two interceptions for the Black Knights, who advanced deeper than the Wake Forest 32 only once in the second half and were held to three first downs after halftime.

"We can't turn the ball over. We're not that good," Brock said. "When we got into must-pass situations, third-and-longs, they're a much better football team."

Hodges was 9-of-12 for 49 yards for his first career win, which came in his second start in place of the injured Riley Skinner.

Moore put Wake Forest ahead early when he returned a punt for a touchdown. He took Owen Tolson's punt at the 45 and juked near midfield before cutting across the field and dashing nearly untouched down the left sideline.

"It parted open," Moore said. "I was just trying to set up my block a little bit, read it and make a big play."

Adams extended the lead to 14-0 on Wake's next possession, carrying three times for 31 yards on a five-play drive that the redshirt freshman capped with a 10-yard burst up the middle.

Viti's TD capped a 12-play, 75-yard drive with his second touchdown of the season.

Wake Forest led 21-7 at halftime despite gaining just 122 total yards to Army's 200.