Funeral for Army coach Dixon to be held Tuesday

A funeral service for Army women's basketball coach Maggie Dixon will be held Tuesday morning at St. Charles Church in North Hollywood, Calif., her hometown.

The DePaul and Army teams were to fly to California for the service and were expected to stay in the same hotel in order to share stories about Dixon. She was an assistant at DePaul before taking over the Black Knights.

Dixon, 28, died Thursday night at Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla, N.Y., following an "arrhythmic episode to her heart," academy spokesman Lt. Col. Kent Cassella said.

Army officials have expressed their desire to have Dixon buried at West Point, an honor usually reserved for high-ranking officials, ESPN has learned.

The Dixon family was reportedly considering the offer, but an athletic department sponsor said Sunday there was no immediate word on the matter.

On Friday, Dixon was mourned in a chapel across from the U.S.
Military Academy's campus.

An autopsy conducted Friday found that Dixon had an enlarged
heart and a problem with a heart valve, according to the
Westchester County Medical Examiner's office. The valve problem
could have caused her heart to beat irregularly and ultimately stop.

About 500 people filled the Catholic Chapel, including her
family and players who remembered her as equal parts coach, big
sister and best friend.

Dixon was hospitalized Wednesday in critical condition after
suffering an "arrhythmic episode to her heart" at the school, her
older brother, Pittsburgh men's basketball coach Jamie Dixon, said

"Maggie touched so many people beyond basketball," Jamie Dixon
said in a subsequent statement released Friday by Pittsburgh. "Our
family has received an outpouring of sympathy from across the
country and we are deeply appreciative. As her older brother I know
she looked up to me. But I always looked up to her, too, and it's
obvious that a lot of other people did as well."

Dixon had said his sister collapsed and was taken to the
intensive care unit of Westchester Medical Center.

"She ... went to the house of a friend for afternoon tea where
she said she wasn't feeling good and she collapsed," said Dixon,
who read a prepared statement from the hospital on Thursday.

He said he had breakfast with his sister earlier Wednesday and
that she had apparently been feeling well.

Dixon's time at Army was short but significant.

She arrived at the storied military academy on the banks of the
Hudson River in October, just 11 days before the start of the
season and inherited a team that had gone 74-70 over the previous
five seasons. The team struggled at the beginning, before winning
nine of its last 11 games.

Just six months after Dixon took over, the 69-68 win over Holy
Cross in the Patriot League final put Army into the NCAA Tournament
for the first time. The rookie coach's accomplishment earned extra
acclaim because Jamie Dixon had taken Pitt to the men's tournament
at the same time. The Dixons are believed to be the first brother
and sister to coach in the NCAA Tournament in the same year.

Dixon had hoped to play in the
WNBA after graduating in 1999 from the University of San Diego. But
the Los Angeles Sparks cut her after a tryout in May 2000. She went
into coaching with encouragement from her brother.

"He said, 'If you want to do this coaching thing, do something
drastic,' " Dixon told The Associated Press last month. "That's
what I did."

She held a number of positions under DePaul coach Doug Bruno
after walking into his office and introducing herself. She
eventually became his top assistant in May 2004.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.