Iman Shumpert exits with knee sprain
- [+] EnlargeAP Photo/Jonathan BachmanIman Shumpert injured the same knee in which he previously sustained a torn ACL as he tried to come to a stop while driving to the basket Wednesday night.
The Knicks said Thursday an MRI on Shumpert's knee revealed a sprained MCL and that he's expected to miss about two weeks. Yahoo! Sports earlier reported the sprain was to the MCL, citing league sources.
Shumpert injured the knee, the same one that sustained a torn ACL in his rookie year, when he tried to come to a stop while driving to the basket in the third quarter. He was helped to the locker room. The Knicks, who have two games left on a four-game trip, evaluated Shumpert in New York on Thursday.
Shumpert also hurt the knee during the 2012 playoffs and didn't return until January 2013.
With Shumpert performing inconsistently on offense and the Knicks desperate to land a point guard by the trade deadline, New York talked to several teams -- including the Denver Nuggets and Los Angeles Clippers -- about dealing the 2011 first-round pick. Thursday's trade deadline, however, passed without any deal involving Shumpert.
The Knicks are off Thursday and will return to the court Friday against the Orlando Magic. Shumpert is averaging 6.9 points and 1.8 assists in 27 minutes per game. He's shooting 38.1 percent from the field.
Information from ESPNNewYork.com's Ian Begley and The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Leaning In
- Phil Jackson is leaning toward taking a front-office job with the Knicks.
- Rock And Roll
- The Knicks got the win over the lowly Cavaliers in Cleveland.
- Manny Happy Returns
- After nearly two years, Manny Banuelos took the mound for the Yankees.
- Thor Is Mortal
- Noah Syndergaard wasn't as sharp in his second outing of the spring.
- Still A Chance To Dance
- The Johnnies beat Marquette in double OT, keeping their NCAA tourney hopes alive.
- adidas Youth New York Knicks climawarm Royal 3-Stripe Pullover Hoodie
MORE NBA HEADLINES