Nets' Brook Lopez out three weeks
Lopez will be in a walking boot, and the Nets will update his status on March 23.
Looking for more Nets news? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog »
The 23-year-old suffered the injury in the third quarter of Sunday night's game in Charlotte and did not return. He underwent X-rays later that night, but the team did not reveal the news until Monday.
Lopez left the locker room in crutches, and coach Avery Johnson said he "badly rolled" his right ankle.
The news might have a negative impact on the Nets' pursuit of Dwight Howard by the March 15 trade deadline. Lopez had been prominently mentioned in trade talks involving the Magic center.
A league source said Lopez's injury not expected to have an effect on how Orlando proceeds.
Lopez had just returned from a broken right foot injury that caused him to miss 33 of the Nets' first 34 games.
Lopez is averaging 19.2 points and 3.6 rebounds in 27.2 minutes in five games.
Mike Mazzeo is a regular contributor to ESPNNewYork.com.
- Hot In Cleveland
- Carmelo Anthony and the Knicks look good so far, but can they hold off the Cavs?
- Phil Leans Toward Knicks
- Phil Jackson is leaning toward taking a front-office job with the Knicks.
- Manny Happy Returns
- After nearly two years, Manny Banuelos took the mound for the Yankees.
- Thor Is Mortal
- Noah Syndergaard wasn't as sharp in his second outing of the spring.
- Still A Chance To Dance
- The Johnnies beat Marquette in double OT, keeping their NCAA tourney hopes alive.
MORE NBA HEADLINES