New York Knicks forward Carmelo Anthony has filed an appeal with the National Basketball Players Association in an attempt to recoup lost wages resulting from his one-game suspension for confronting Boston's Kevin Garnett after a recent game.
The New York Post reported earlier on the appeal, which was confirmed by the players' union.
"In light of all the circumstances, including the fact that there was no physical altercation, we believe the discipline was excessive," players' union lead attorney Ron Klempner said Thursday.
Anthony was suspended for one game and docked $176,000 -- 1/110 of his salary -- by the league for confronting Garnett multiple times off the court after he and the Boston big man exchanged words late in the Celtics' win at Madison Square Garden on Jan. 7.
Anthony approached the Celtics' locker room after the game and again approached Garnett outside Boston's team bus.
The NBA says it suspended Anthony for confronting Garnett away from the court.
"There are no circumstances in which it is acceptable for a player to confront an opponent after a game," Stu Jackson, the NBA's executive vice president of basketball operations, said in a statement announcing Anthony's suspension. "Carmelo Anthony attempted to engage with Kevin Garnett multiple times after Monday's game and therefore a suspension was warranted."
The Knicks and Celtics play in Boston -- where New York has lost 11 straight -- on Thursday night for the first time since Anthony confronted Garnett. After practice Wednesday, Anthony said he doesn't "hold no grudges or have any bad blood towards" Garnett.
Ian Begley is a regular contributor to ESPNNewYork.com.