ORLANDO, Fla. -- Former Miami Dolphins guard John Jerry, named repeatedly in the Ted Wells report that detailed bullying and harassment in the Dolphins' locker room, will not be suspended by the NFL, his new coach said Wednesday.
"There is no suspension in the air or anything of that nature," the New York Giants' Tom Coughlin said at the annual NFL owners' meetings.
After Coughlin made his comments, however, commissioner Roger Goodell didn't rule out the possibility of a suspension. "From our standpoint, the medical evaluation will determine what happens," Goodell said.
On Monday, Goodell said Jerry, Incognito and Mike Pouncey are required to undergo medical evaluations and could be placed in a treatment program, depending on the outcome.
The conservative Giants stepped out of character by signing Jerry to a one-year, $795,000 contract last week. It's a low-risk move in terms of the money, but it attracted attention because of his involvement in the Jonathan Martin-Richie Incognito bullying scandal. Jerry was mentioned 106 times in the Wells report.
Coughlin said Jerry impressed the team's brass, including general manager Jerry Reese.
"He was authentic in terms of his presentation," Coughlin said. "Jerry really did believe everything he said regarding the circumstance. ... I spoke to him. He's excited about being a Giant. The investigation took place. Calls were made to the league office."
Coughlin and Reese and the college-scouting depart had a "really good feel" for Jerry, and "they thought he was being honest and straight forward with whatever part he played in [the bullying]. There was sincere remorse. We still feel very strongly about our locker room, the players that are there for us. I don't see that happening with us, anything of that nature."
On Sunday, Giants co-owner John Mara said they didn't consult with the league prior to signing Jerry, but performed due diligence.