Tim Tebow trademarking 'Tebowing'
FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Dropping to a knee like Tim Tebow might cost you now.Tebow
The New York Jets' backup quarterback is trademarking "Tebowing," the move in which he goes down on one knee and holds a clenched fist against his forehead while praying during games.
After Tebow led the Denver Broncos to a handful of fourth-quarter comeback victories last season, "Tebowing" swept the country -- with actor Robert Downey Jr. even doing it at the Oscars.
Newsday first reported that one of seven trademarks Tebow filed for, using the term, was published for opposition Oct. 9. After a 30-day period granted in case there are objections, Tebow will be closer to being an owner of the mark.
Looking for more on
the green and white? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog »
In the seven filings, Tebow says intended uses for the word "Tebowing" are to connect it with everything from sales of hats and shirts to even toy guns and pantyhose.
The devout Christian says his representatives filed on his behalf not for financial gain, but "to just control how it's used, make sure it's used in the right way." Tebow did say sometime down the road the money would go to his Tim Tebow Foundation.
Tebow, though, will have to be careful. He might have trouble maintaining possession of the trademarks if he doesn't prove he has any intention to use them for business purposes.
Information from ESPN.com's Darren Rovell, ESPNNewYork.com's Jane McManus and The Associated Press was used in this report.
NFL WEEK 7 COVERAGE
- Full 4ce
- The Knicks captured their fourth straight win with a victory over the Sixers.
- J.R.: Phil Makes 'Bockers Better
- J.R. Smith said the Knicks could benefit from Phil Jackson's wisdom.
- Truth Hurts
- Paul Pierce's latest big shot sinks the Atlantic-leading Raptors in Brooklyn.
- Later, Holmes
- The Jets released often-injured wide receiver Santonio Holmes on Monday.
- Sorry, Mai!
- We sat down with Masahiro Tanaka for a Q&A. Did we upset his wife?
- Tim Tebow: On A Mission DVD
MORE NFL HEADLINES