Jets trying to move up in 2nd round

Updated: April 26, 2013, 4:42 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

The New York Jets have made calls to multiple teams Friday to try to move up from the 39th overall pick, seventh in the second round, to draft a quarterback, league sources tell ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The Jets used both of their first-round picks on defense, taking cornerback Dee Milliner from Alabama ninth overall and defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson four picks later.

New York debated taking West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith at No. 13 before settling on Richardson. Smith was widely considered to be a first-round pick.

Smith, Matt Barkley and Ryan Nassib are quarterbacks expected to be selected early in the second round.

Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg, top scout Terry Bradway and an area scout dined with Smith last month on the eve of his pro day. Mornhinweg was "raving" about Smith upon returning to the Jets' facility, according to a source.

On Wednesday, Smith told reporters, "There's a level of interest there," referring to the Jets. He also visited the Jets' facility, where he spent time with Mornhinweg, Rex Ryan and quarterbacks coach David Lee.

"I had a great visit," Smith said. "All those guys were great -- Coach Lee, Coach Mornhinweg. It was really great sitting down with those guys. I enjoyed it. We'll see what happens."

Smith was asked how he would handle the intense scrutiny of playing quarterback in New York.

"It depends on the way you look at it. You can look at it as a negative, or you can look at it as a positive," he said. "New York is a great place to market -- a great city once you start winning games and get things rolling. You look at Eli [Manning], even Broadway Joe. He's still a legend around here."

Mornhinweg also dined with Nassib at his pro day. The Jets have communicated with Nassib as recently as this week.

Information from ESPNNewYork.com's Rich Cimini was used in this report.

EDITORS' PICKS

ALSO SEE