Bucs sign Tynes; Barth out for '13

Updated: July 18, 2013, 4:30 PM ET
By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

TAMPA, Fla. -- Buccaneers kicker Connor Barth will miss the upcoming season after tearing his right Achilles tendon while playing in a charity basketball game last week, the team announced Wednesday. The Buccaneers quickly signed veteran Lawrence Tynes to replace him.

Barth, 27, will be placed on the reserve/non-football injury list. He had surgery Monday and will spend the season rehabilitating.

"We are disappointed to lose a productive player like Connor but are very fortunate to be able to sign an experienced kicker at this time of year," general manager Mark Dominik said.

Coach Greg Schiano echoed Dominik's thoughts during his news conference Thursday. He said Tynes would compete with Derek Dimke, who signed in the spring, for the kicking job.

"Those two guys will give us a chance to have a really good competition and make the best of a bad situation," Schiano said.

Tynes, 35, has spent nine seasons in the NFL, playing for the Kansas City Chiefs and New York Giants. Tynes has made 190 of 233 (81.5 percent) career field goal attempts. Last season with the Giants, Tynes made 33 of 39 field goal attempts and all 46 of his extra-point attempts for a career-high 145 points, which ranked second in the NFL.

Giants punter Steve Weatherford tweeted congratulations to his former teammate on Wednesday.

Barth has made a team-record 84.3 percent of his field goal attempts since joining the Bucs midway through the 2009 season. In 2011, he set a single-season franchise record by making 26 of 28 (92.9 percent) field goal attempts.

Pat Yasinskas | email

ESPN Tampa Bay Buccaneers reporter

SPONSORED HEADLINES

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.


EDITORS' PICKS

MORE NFL HEADLINES